Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Roleplaying Forum
Maxwell
post Feb 6 2006, 09:02 PM
Post #1

Master

Group: Members
Member No.: 560

Is there a way we could get a Roleplaying forum? If we could, I think it would benifical to the community because it would keep people coming back to see how their story is going.

--------------------
Programming is a complex blend of art, science, logic, engineering, design, and craftsmanship
-Steve Yegge
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jerky
post Feb 7 2006, 12:41 PM
Post #2

Former PW Project Manager

Group: PW Admin
Member No.: 62

What do you have in mind? Tell me what you envision.

--------------------
Erik Briggs (Jerky)
Project Manager
My Blog
+Quote Post
Maxwell
post Feb 7 2006, 07:13 PM
Post #3

Master

I guess you could make it anyway you want, but just like a regular roleplaying forum where people introduce their characters and continue fighting and talking as if they were in a story.

For example:

Jerky: A dark and shaddy character enters the taveren with a hood over his face. He sits down at the corner of the of the bar and asks the bartender for a mug of ale.

Maxwell: Maxwell sits in the corner and watchs the shady man enter. His mind becomes scattered with thoughts about what kind of man he is and what he does. He hears the low rumble of his voice asking for a mug of ale.

So on and so forth you get the idea.

If you wanted a specific storyline you could introduce one. You can make it however you want. It is just an idea.

If anyone else wants to comment please do.

--------------------
Programming is a complex blend of art, science, logic, engineering, design, and craftsmanship
-Steve Yegge
+Quote Post
Cobra
post Feb 8 2006, 09:27 AM
Post #4

PW Senior Artist

Group: PW Developer
Member No.: 80

[quote1139412433=Maxwell913]
I guess you could make it anyway you want, but just like a regular roleplaying forum where people introduce their characters and continue fighting and talking as if they were in a story.

For example:

Jerky: A dark and shaddy character enters the taveren with a hood over his face. He sits down at the corner of the of the bar and asks the bartender for a mug of ale.

Maxwell: Maxwell sits in the corner and watchs the shady man enter. His mind becomes scattered with thoughts about what kind of man he is and what he does. He hears the low rumble of his voice asking for a mug of ale.

So on and so forth you get the idea.

If you wanted a specific storyline you could introduce one. You can make it however you want. It is just an idea.

If anyone else wants to comment please do.
[/quote1139412433]

Maxwell, i like your writing very much, you would be a good story asset!

--------------------
Project Wish Senior Artist

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Maxwell
post Feb 8 2006, 09:34 AM
Post #5

Master

I would love to be any help I can be. Just let me what you would want me to do.

--------------------
-Steve Yegge
+Quote Post
Honis
post Feb 9 2006, 07:39 PM
Post #6

Veteran

Member No.: 539

*Honis walks in this thread and likes what he see's.*

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Quetzalcoatl
post Oct 1 2006, 01:54 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 632

Story you say? I have some basic thoughts on that but I will not post to much about characters. I don't know if this is the right place for all this but it seemslike it is. I go with the belief that fun comes from struggles and not from simplicity. I do not know what kind of stories anyone else is into but I believe that something simplistic yet heavy would work well. Staying away from the usual fighting the forces of hell I think that something about the movment of large populations would make sense. A new culture and way of life spreads across the border into the realm. Not to big but there are some power struggles in the fragmented feudal government. This leads to some unrest and chaos.

I also heard there are to ways to compose a game. One is with interaction between characters focusing relationships, diolougue, and pretty much fun with slinging around through life for the fun of it. Communication can make you or break you. I could see the game taking place in a rural area, something large and foggy with many inlets, caves, and fjords. There are close knit groups which combine into one larger structure. Relationships with the higher classes would be important but because of the small numbers of people interpersonal relationships are vital and as such much of the game would be making friends and enemies. Going on that, rewards would be important for warrios, so a quest to find a source of mead created from the hands of a nymph would be a nice quest. Not to large or too small.

There should be great mysteries though, any tough guy could kill an ogre but to actually woo a girl or tell the truth all the time can be tough, that should be a part of it. Also there is always this mysterious aura floating around of better times and better lives whether it be far off lands or the realm of the gods. Having mysterious, weird creatures who inhabit nature, kind of like kami, like the elves in lotr who are one with nature, maybe they are patrons who collect taxes or work with clegry. But to much mysticism is just kooky.

On the other side of things there is the element of motion and reflexes. I have no idea what kind of combat everyone can agree on but with small communites large scale battles of armored knights would not be possible. Smaller clashes focusing on induvidual glory and prowess would be seen. There would be lower ranked fighters and elites. Say the lowers form a shield wall and throw javelins while the elite ride horses. Battle should be ritualized with certain rites said and where each person fights another fair and square. It is less about tactics, the fun of getting everyone to stay together and fight is enough, while slashes and stabs come from all directions. Simple tasks such as marching, camping, eating, arguing, could all be made to this standard of needing motion to complete.

Lastly I just want to say that the mythology of the Norse should have a great impact on the beliefs of the people in this game, including the idea that visitors are sacred. There should be some philosophy in it as well, perhaps a mystery cult where one advances in rank as they learn things, maybe you come across a gang of assasins, in the old traditions, who play freakish mind games with you. The rotaganists and antagonists could rerpresent the forces of certainty and uncertainty, light and dark, reality and peception, anything like that. After playing this game you could come to see reality as very complex and mysterious. Oh yeah and I heard you have a map, I would like to know more about your thoughts on that.
+Quote Post
joshpurple
post Oct 1 2006, 09:24 PM
Post #8

PW Artist

Member No.: 613

Excellent stuff Quetzalcoatl! Great post, and Thank You for it.

Just in case, I thought you might like to join in, and check this out:
Role Play forum, and RP input, more here smile.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 05:54 PM
Original skin by: b6gm6n | Conversion by: Chris Y
hardwired
  hardwired
hardwired hardwired
hardwired hardwired