Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PW still lives while Robert Jordan passes
Jerky
post Sep 17 2007, 10:55 AM
Post #1

Former PW Project Manager

Group: PW Admin
Member No.: 62

Not that it directly relates to the Project, but the news of Robert Jordan finally passing away definitely deserves recognition. Making a game in realm of "high fantasy" cannot be done well without using some of the ideas that Robert Jordan brought to the genre. His stories were some of the best fantasy ones ever written, if I may say so myself. He will be dearly missed. Our commiserations go out to his family.

I was already planning on writing an update for the project, so don't think that this is only because of RJ that you are hearing from PW. Another update is in order, for those of you who actually read the site wink.gif. I will try to give you a good roundup of the happenings:

Focus for the art team has shifted to the tech demo. While we work on correct processes (concept art first, before models), njpaul on the programming team is working on the technical aspects. Can you say shaders? We will release some more screenshots soon as official frontpage items so you can see the beauty. We have some cool ideas we are trying to implement and make sure look good. You won't be disappointed.

If you read njpaul's blog, you know about the sky system he is working on. Its really starting to shape up. We currently have some great looking day/night cycles, and are working on making the night sky look as good as it should. We have a number of ways we are experimenting with, from standard textures to procedural star generation. We are not yet ready to commit to one technique, as we are trying to balance looks and performance. I can tell you to expect great looking sky, which will include moon cycles. After the sky comes some other nice things that we have planned, from water effects (ocean and waterfalls), to lighting. The tech demo is planned so that it will show off what graphical features you can expect from PW.

As for the Story team, we have them working on Society concepting. Our plans are to construct the world based on the societies that exist, and not do the reverse, which most games end up doing. We have a new map put together, which we also hope to be able to share with you all soon as well, which will give you scale of the world, along with climates and some points of interest. The world design will be an ongoing thing, but as we progress, we will release bits to the public so you can follow along.

For the rest of the programming team, they are working on the game engine, and the intricacies that that entails. Pieces that control timing and events are being worked on, with some refactoring of our utilities library as well. We have been discussing the requirements for our resource system, which will help keep track of everything in the game world, from how much ore is found in a spot on a mountainside, to enemy AI, to NPC AI, etc. Its too early to tell you what we have in those areas, but you can expect that we will be pushing the limits of what you currently know about MMO's. Think 'living world.' wink.gif

As far as design goes, we have been working on the overall design of the game, which will lead to a proper design document. Work is being done on the skill system, the quest system, the resource system, the combat system, the crafting system and so on. As we progress on those lines, we plan on rolling out information on each of these systems (and more) which should coincide with a new website look that we are working on. I do not yet have an ETA on any of this, but if you know the project, you know we are always progressing, but the rate of progress always varies from day to day.

Rest assured, we are working steadily on PW, but not at the pace of a real game (unfortunately). If you want to participate in any design discussions, feel free to drop by IRC, as we are always up for bouncing our ideas off of fresh meat. If we happen to be asleep when you drop by, try again later wink.gif.

--------------------
Erik Briggs (Jerky)
Project Manager
My Blog
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Pandra
post Sep 17 2007, 11:15 AM
Post #2

Wisdom

Group: Members
Member No.: 640

Oh boy >.> Thank you for letting me know about RJ Jerky, I must now to go shut my phone off because half my friends where hugh fans. I am not in the mood for sobbing fan boies today, even if I am a Robert Jordan fan myself.

--------------------
IPB Image
~by Honis

Kain:: I liberated myself a copy of MS Office 2007 today.
Pandra:: Liberated??
Kain:: With my charm.
Pandra:: Does that mean you slept with someone to obtain softwear?
Kain:: >.>;
Pandra:: You're officially a program geek.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:41 AM
Original skin by: b6gm6n | Conversion by: Chris Y
hardwired
  hardwired
hardwired hardwired
hardwired hardwired