Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Magic in Project Wish
GageEndal
post Oct 17 2006, 06:57 PM
Post #1

Veteran

Group: Members
Member No.: 197

This is my idea of how magic should work in the game, please throw in your own also so we can get an actual debate going on for this. There is a lot of thought to be put into magic since it can do so much in the game.

I feel that magic should be split up into three methods of casting:

Mana
Reagents
Mana and Reagents

Mana is for straight sorcerers who have just such a high ammount of mystical energies that they don't rely on reagents to cast a spell. The cost of this would be about 2x mana cost as it would be if you were casting with Mana / Reagents.

Reagents are a form of casting that would be slower than straight mana casting because it takes longer to get together. Any time someone uses reagents it would slow them down (even at a higher level, there may be a bit of a modification to this, but for now let's just say they stay static fo time). The time frame would be also about 1.5x time as it would be with just mana. Anyone can use this style (even stupid warriors)

Mana and Reagents would be used for general spell casters. Ones who are able to use mana, but not well enough that they can cast spells without the reagents. The Reagents shouldn't be things that are impossible to find either, there should be at least one magic shop in each town that will sell all of the reagents. I also don't think that we should have hundreds of types of reagents since that just makes casting spells difficult. Anyhow... heh. This is the best method for those who are still learning and I think it would work fine. The time is still the 1.5x that just using Reagents is, but you can skip a certain amount of reagents if needed. Perhaps even having the reagents be liquids and you can use less of them if you are casting with mana to back it (putting your own energies into the spell as well as the reagents).

Well, that's my idea, it's a bit mixed up but I just wrote it out as I thought it, so that's to be expected.

--------------------
"I am suddenly more and more glad that I am a big stupid warrior."
- Daniel Nicolai - 2006-10-18

"but other times I want to don a feathered cap and go prancing down the byways in pretty purple tights"
- Daniel Nicolai - 2006-09-20
---------------------------------------------------------------
Daniel Nicolai
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Areena
post Mar 10 2008, 06:28 AM
Post #2

PW Story Team

Group: PW Developer
Member No.: 48

this may be out of place or too late, but why doesnt magic have to be the same throughout the world. Why can't different areas have different ways of doing it?

--------------------
Areena, citizen of Kemilnar
+Quote Post
Brotoi
post Mar 11 2008, 07:06 AM
Post #3

PW Story Team

Group: PW Developer
Member No.: 1,123

QUOTE(Areena @ Mar 10 2008, 09:28 PM) *

this may be out of place or too late, but why doesnt magic have to be the same throughout the world. Why can't different areas have different ways of doing it?

That would depend on how much work the programing and art teams want to do. laugh.gif

I've printed out the magic portion of the Skill Tree from the Wiki, and I am consolidating the information in the threads. My goal is to write up an overall magic system that contains as much of the earlier material as possible while removing contradictions and things that are obviously impractical. The result will not really be a world magic system, but more of a framework that each region could cherry pick from and expand according to the cultural and spiritual values of that region.

For example, Life Magic and Death Magic are both mentioned extensively, along with some conflicting defintions of what they might mean. I'll work out a middle ground that describes each and provides overall parameters that should simplify the work for the programming team. From that foundation a writer could easily extrapolate a local Death Magic, for example, that would incorporate some life drain spells, some summoning spells, some debuffs, and so on, and then apply their local system to the local culture.

So Death Magic in one region might be based on reagents, in another it might be based on blood magic, in yet another it might be dark energy, and in still another it might be possible to start with reagents and work up to dark energy as the associated skills and attributes of the player increase.

Either way, there has to be a basic system in place that the programming team can implement and expand. My aim is to be as modular as possible, minimizing the work for programmers and maximizing the flexibility for writing, design, art, and so on.

Anyhow, it's going to take awhile to work up. And in the end, everyone might decide I'm being arrogant and pushy and reject it in it's entirety. rolleyes.gif In the meantime, though, it'll keep me busy for awhile. Whether the system is accepted or rejected, it'll provide a foundation I can use to create a workable magic system for Kandonda, and hopefully everyone else as well.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
GageEndal   Magic in Project Wish   Oct 17 2006, 06:57 PM
Jerky   http://forums.projectwish.com/index.php?showtopic=...   Oct 17 2006, 07:21 PM
joshpurple   Jerky is very good at that :D . (and Thanks for t...   Oct 17 2006, 11:39 PM
GageEndal   Well yeah, Pandra came up with some great ideas fo...   Oct 18 2006, 09:10 AM
GageEndal   <jerky> One of the huge reasons for reagents...   Oct 18 2006, 09:39 AM
Pandra   That's acctually similar to something I tried ...   Oct 18 2006, 10:04 AM
Jerky   So, reagents would act as training wheels? I am n...   Oct 18 2006, 10:11 AM
GageEndal   Buying houses will be a great way for them to expa...   Oct 18 2006, 10:19 AM
Jaramar   I've several objections to this idea myself. ...   Oct 18 2006, 11:23 AM
Matlush   Two ideas: 1) Make using regents optional, but if...   Oct 18 2006, 11:31 AM
Timmmy   What if the type of magic you were using decided y...   Oct 18 2006, 08:40 PM
KingNothing   I think the coolest spells should need reagents, s...   Oct 19 2006, 09:09 AM
GageEndal   You could also work something along the lines of t...   Oct 19 2006, 02:16 PM
Hankellin   I do not think reagents should be removed from a s...   Oct 19 2006, 06:50 PM
Maxwell   I think their is one thing everyone is forgetting ...   Oct 20 2006, 11:11 AM
Honis   I think forcing mages (strict mages, not the melee...   Oct 21 2006, 10:43 PM
Hankellin   I agree in most part, I was trying to say that ...   Oct 21 2006, 11:19 PM
Maxwell   Why not seperate Magic classes one with reagents a...   Oct 22 2006, 11:51 AM
Jaramar   Firstly there are no classes. Secondly the advan...   Oct 22 2006, 04:19 PM
Jerky   Careful not to jump too early on that word Jaramar...   Oct 22 2006, 04:31 PM
Darkfaith   So I have an idea that is a lot a part of what a l...   Oct 24 2006, 08:22 PM
Minthos   I've done some thinking on spellcasting, and I...   Oct 24 2006, 08:45 PM
GageEndal   The only problem I have with mages in 99.9% of the...   Oct 24 2006, 09:32 PM
Minthos   While I not completely disagree with your post Gag...   Oct 25 2006, 07:38 PM
Jerky   Wow Darkfaith and Minthos, I really liked both tho...   Oct 25 2006, 12:43 AM
Jerky   Very good point. Check out our economy thread sta...   Oct 27 2006, 08:06 PM
Dwilf   I'm also for all spells needing reagents. I wa...   Oct 28 2006, 04:24 AM
Hankellin   There is a question: Will friendly magic be able ...   Oct 29 2006, 11:39 AM
Dwilf   Ah, well if we have full PvP then an AoE like fire...   Oct 29 2006, 12:36 PM
Hankellin   Fireball = Friendly Fire He he he he....   Oct 29 2006, 03:58 PM
greendots   I don't like the idea of full PvP in an MMO. F...   Oct 29 2006, 04:35 PM
Honis   I would like to know the game that makes a mage jo...   Oct 30 2006, 07:21 PM
Honis   Had a magic related idea the other day. When you ...   Nov 14 2006, 11:39 AM
vedomec   a newbie idea (so do not jump on me because of tha...   Nov 19 2006, 08:21 AM
Pandra   This is what we were wanting ^_^ People's idea...   Nov 19 2006, 11:03 AM
ni1s   I would like to see magic having a underlaying fab...   Jan 16 2007, 07:14 PM
echorev   i also like the idea of chaotic randomness, makes ...   Jan 17 2007, 09:05 AM
glibdud   There was a little chat going on in IRC tonight th...   Apr 13 2007, 08:58 PM
jaminben   I like where that's going glibdud. It would b...   Apr 14 2007, 04:21 PM
Brotoi   I have read both threads that Jerky linked to earl...   Mar 10 2008, 12:42 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 09:10 PM
Original skin by: b6gm6n | Conversion by: Chris Y
hardwired
  hardwired
hardwired hardwired
hardwired hardwired