Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hmmm....
penguin42
post Oct 6 2006, 01:36 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 669

So how do you go about making things that look like the screenshots and video in DWARF? cool.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
joshpurple
post Oct 6 2006, 07:56 AM
Post #2

PW Artist

Group: PW Developer
Member No.: 613

Hi Penguin smile.gif ! Welcome to PW.

For the screenshots, and working with DWARF, you might want to check this thread, Basic, beginning DWARF Tutorial. And some great tips are on that same thread about DWARF.

For the video, I believe a screen capture utility was used (FRAPS?), while the user hit F10, the shift key (to speed up), and the WASD keys (moving around).

Screenshots are kept in a folder called, 'screenshots' inside of the DWARF folder.

I'll be happy to help with any questions you might have smile.gif .

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
penguin42
post Oct 6 2006, 08:47 AM
Post #3

Actually, I guess my question is really this: None of the samples that come with DWARF look anything like These screenshots or This Video. The vegetation is a lot more splotchy and less lush. Is it possible to get images like in the above links with the current release of DWARF? Do you just plaster the entire visible landscape with vegetation? That seems like it'd take forever and would kill the frame rate...

So I guess my question really is this: Will the DWARF project used to create those beautiful promotional images be available for download? smile.gif
+Quote Post
Jerky
post Oct 6 2006, 09:10 AM
Post #4

Former PW Project Manager

Group: PW Admin
Member No.: 62

Actually, almost everything used in those screenshots and video is included. There is a feature in DWARF that allows you to place an item and then clone it at high speed. We call it "machinegun cloning." Check the manual and see what the key combo is (I think its ctrl-shift-c). You can fill the screen in no time. Be sure to move your mouse quickly though, since you dont want all those meshes in the same spot.

You are correct that if you put too many meshes (depending on your system's capabilities) that you could experience slowdowns. The computer used to get the video was good, but not the best. In future versions we will have billboard techniques(imposters) and instancing which will both allow for much better performance. Until then, I can only remind you that this was a first alpha version.

Good luck! We will be happy to help answer any other questions.

--------------------
Erik Briggs (Jerky)
Project Manager
My Blog
+Quote Post
joshpurple
post Oct 6 2006, 09:17 AM
Post #5

PW Artist

Ah! My understanding is there will be a Project Wish Official World, and PW Mods/public creations, etc.

Currently I'm making content for Public use with DWARF (a good bit based off of some fun RP), but -I believe the Official Game World creations will remain 'vaulted' until a version of it's release is made available (gets approval from the PW Development Team leaders).

At that point a 'filled' PW World, with towns, tons of vegetation, etc. (I'd guess) would be released? Although, that would still be considered a Public PW World/Mod, -since the Official PW Game World will need to be controlled for Game Balance/players not knowing everything/avoiding cheats, etc.

Will the DWARF project used to create those beautiful promotional images be available for download?

Yes, in time -as the PW Team Leaders decide what is to remain 'vaulted' and what is o.k.'d to be released for Public use.

BUT, I am not one of the Team Leaders, and hopefully one of them will give you a better answer than I have smile.gif .

Edit:

AH! ThanK You Jerky! You can ingnore what I've put, Jerky has it down smile.gif

This post has been edited by joshpurple: Oct 6 2006, 09:19 AM

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
penguin42
post Oct 6 2006, 10:07 AM
Post #6

Thanks for your replies, guys!
+Quote Post
Cobra
post Oct 7 2006, 10:00 AM
Post #7

PW Senior Artist

Member No.: 80

Those images and the video were made by me. It's quite simple, just create lots of grass! smile.gif

--------------------
Project Wish Senior Artist

IPB Image
+Quote Post
joshpurple
post Oct 7 2006, 10:45 AM
Post #8

PW Artist

QUOTE(Cobra @ Oct 7 2006, 04:00 AM)
Those images and the video were made by me. It's quite simple, just create lots of grass! smile.gif

Yaaa Cobra! biggrin.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:18 AM
Original skin by: b6gm6n | Conversion by: Chris Y
hardwired
  hardwired
hardwired hardwired
hardwired hardwired