Closed TopicStart new topic
> Weather Requirements
Mole
post Mar 8 2005, 12:30 PM
Post #1

PW Consultant

Group: PW Developer
Member No.: 97

This discussion is to gather specific ideas about weather and its implementation in our game.

What weather should we have? Should certain weather be limited to specific areas? How diverse should things be?

These are just a few questions to get ideas started.

We'll keep this thread open for discussion for 2 weeks, after which we will stop collecting ideas for version 1 of our game.

--------------------
Co-Founder & Consultant
Project Wish
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
silmaril
post Mar 9 2005, 05:48 AM
Post #2

Master

Group: Members
Member No.: 27

Weather should have some of the same kind of environmental effects as the time of day. This means it can affect

The range of missile weapons
The effectiveness of certain attacks (flame-based attacks wouldn't be as effective if the rain was pouring down).
The growth of plants.
The behaviour of some monsters.
Some special crafting jobs should be affected by the weather as well. Especially if dealing with magical enhancements.
Storms could bring along wind which could cause missile weapons to be even less effective.

Also the weather systems should work in relationship with the landscapes of the world: Rain storms often dissipate before reaching desert areas, change to snow in cold regions, etc. In addition some basics of how they actually work should be worked in. As an example, most rain clouds (at least to my knowledge) are created over oceans and drift in over land. If reaching a high mountain range, the lower clouds will stop when reaching these and cause rain in nearby regions.

The weather systems must also be large enough so it is possible to see the difference between a period with good weather and a period with bad weather. Too frequent changes in the weather will lead to it seeming like "ok weather" all the time.

Seasonal changes could also be worked in, where some seasons would cause almost constant rain and storms (at least in some regions), while other seasons had less frequency of rain.
+Quote Post
Fuinelen
post Mar 9 2005, 09:00 AM
Post #3

Seasoned User

Member No.: 223

Weather, or more specifically the temperature, should have an effect on the players. Clothing gives off heat, so running in summer through a hot desert while in full armor should reduce the endurance of the player Char. Similarly with scantily clad ladies in the snow.
+Quote Post
Melanthe
post Mar 10 2005, 07:25 PM
Post #4

Master

Member No.: 133

Well then you'd durn well give ladies some other options besides "scantily-clad," thanks. :P

--------------------
Melanthe/Possum
+Quote Post
Jerky
post Mar 11 2005, 05:45 PM
Post #5

Former PW Project Manager

Group: PW Admin
Member No.: 62

I know Morrowind had wind in the sandy deserts that kicked up a lot of dust. I think we could do this as well, even if it is only for show/realism. Dust clouds, cyclones, hurricanes, rain, sleet, snow, fog, mist, haze (like when you are in the hot desert and stuf is distorted close to the horizon). What about waves in he ocean? Anyway, this stuff gets me excited cause I can see it in my head.

--------------------
Erik Briggs (Jerky)
Project Manager
My Blog
+Quote Post
Phoenix
post Mar 16 2005, 02:55 PM
Post #6

Familiar Face

Member No.: 494

it would be nice to have a blizzard type weather in the mountains were you have to say make a fire or go in a cave to keep warm or something.
you could have rare creatures that only appear in the most dangerous weathers like a yeti in a blizzard(rewards for killing him would be soemthing like yeti fur that keeps the user warmer than anything else he can buy)

Phoenix
+Quote Post
oom
post Mar 17 2005, 05:35 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 310

I'd like to see seasonal weather. I know there has been discussion on the length of a PW day versus a real day and I'd like to add seasons to that mix. I expect to get snowy conditions as I climb a tall mountain or rainy conditions in a temperate-climate forest but as the seasons change it would be possible to experience snow in the forest or perhaps a more temperate climate on a mountain. Maybethis could last for "X" PW days corresponding to so many PW months.

As for environmental damage... as much as I like the idea and think it would add more depth and realism to the game... I think I might become annoyed with it over time. I would like having the environment affect how you go about your business. If it is really snowy and windy I am not going to have the same accuracy with a bow that I would in the forest. Something to consider anyway.

Cheers,
Mike
+Quote Post
Mole
post Mar 21 2005, 03:14 PM
Post #8

PW Consultant

I love all of the weather related ideas that have been coming up. There are lots of great ideas in this thread!

I think that weather should have some affect on the players, even if it is just minimal.

If a player is running around naked in a snow storm, then they might take some damage from cold or they might lose some mana or something. A similiar thing should happen if they are running around in a desert. After a while they might start to lose hit points from damage from the weather, or accuracy suffers, or stamina, or something.

I think this would add realism to the game and would help to keep the grind out of the game.

--------------------
Co-Founder & Consultant
Project Wish
+Quote Post
Pashta
post Mar 22 2005, 09:58 AM
Post #9

Seasoned User

Member No.: 259

it would be nice to have a blizzard type weather in the mountains were you have to say make a fire or go in a cave to keep warm or something.
you could have rare creatures that only appear in the most dangerous weathers like a yeti in a blizzard(rewards for killing him would be soemthing like yeti fur that keeps the user warmer than anything else he can buy)

Phoenix

GREAT idea!! I also loved Jerky's dust storm idea, I LOVED Morrowind soooo much. Please put dust storms in! :)

--------------------
-Lady Pashta
+Quote Post
Razaekel
post Mar 22 2005, 09:04 PM
Post #10

PW World Concepts Team

Member No.: 315

If i remember correctly, there was a member on the forums who was looking at meteorology or something similar. I talked to him about the possibily of creating a wether simluation system for Wish, that would rely on algorithms and interaction with other locations to create as realistic a weather system as possible. for example, looking at the map here, there would be a fairly constant inland wind. but I'll use the east side of the continent for an example, where the win will be coming in from the east, thus running into the mountains on t he east side of the continent, or passing over the marshlands on the southeastern corner. If we use real-world examples, the mountains woul cause just about all the moisture in the air to drop out on the east sie, thereby creating a very dry wind coming off the west side and across what would most logically be a desert, thus creating a desert on the west side of the mountains and a lush rainforest on the east. and so on and so forth yada yadda :-P
+Quote Post
Jerky
post Mar 23 2005, 12:09 AM
Post #11

That member was Kalldrexx who has unfortunately been pulled away from the project. I do not know if this was temporary or permanent, but he also changed his major away from meteorology to business management. So either way, as it stands now, we might not be able to utilize his knowledge of weather. I don't think that this should stop us though. We could at least get a fairly simple system going on our own, IMO.

--------------------
Erik Briggs (Jerky)
Project Manager
My Blog
+Quote Post
silmaril
post Mar 23 2005, 01:29 AM
Post #12

Master

Member No.: 27

It's all just a matter of high we prioritize this. If we put this at the top of the list as one of our selling points, we can do a . It just takes time to develop, and eventually money to run the simulations.

Personally I see this as something that's cool to have. Some very simple simulations would be nice, but nothing very complex. It is afterall a game we are making, and not a world simulator. Everything must be seen in relation to the "fun" (FUN FUN FUN:) aspect, and while some weather would indeed be fun and interesting, I don't think making the simulations very complex and realistic would improve the player experience of the game all that much.
+Quote Post
Jerky
post Mar 23 2005, 01:44 AM
Post #13

I agree, not everything can be in (unless we get our meteorologist back (and he codes too)). Requests need to be prioritized. This is already in the works, hence we are moving to XP Web and trac. We only have x amount of programmers and if something is low on the list, it will just have to wait. Basic weather is more of what we need. The extras can wait and see if we have the resources to throw at them later.

--------------------
Erik Briggs (Jerky)
Project Manager
My Blog
+Quote Post
sblmnl
post Mar 23 2005, 09:15 AM
Post #14

Familiar Face

Group: Validating
Member No.: 114

yep, yep, keeping it simple is always the best idea. The main aspects to be determined are wind and topography, which impact on wet/dry areas and drive the currents etc. As we have the map (GRATZ!! It's FABULOUS!!) the wind/currents can be reverse-engineered pretty easily from that? even without a meteorologist.

What do you see as extras? I'd really hope snow/dust storms and the other stuff can be included, so that it can affect mobs/players/items:

eg:
- when sailing you need to take the wind into account when plotting your course (also currents but thats probably getting a bit complicated)
- you'd lose stamina/accuracy if you dont have enough clothes on in the snow - some races (if we have em) will be more cold/heat tolerant than others of course
- weapons and metal/leather armour may suffer in an excessively damp or humid environment, needing protection or maintainence
- love the idea of weather-sensitive mobs (like the yeti), heh dragons probably dont like to go out in the rain either, I see them living near that desert area or the caldera (is it still active?)

I also see realistic (without being tooo detailed) weather systems that actually MEAN something other than just looking pretty, as a big attraction.
+Quote Post
Jerky
post Mar 23 2005, 01:17 PM
Post #15

Don't even get me started on Sailing! I love that idea, but that is for another thread. Has anyone played Zelda: Windwaker on the gamecube. They had a fairly simple approach to it that was very fun (IMO). Wind directions were pretty steady and they definitely had an effect on sailing. You had to tac back and forth unless you had wind directly behind you. This would actually be a simple algorithm based on angle. I like the idea of ocean currents, but maybe that is somethign to add in later.

I think there might be a way to make dynamic storms and keep it from using server bandwidth/resources. If we were to make an anomaly (storm, hurricane, snowing, raining) just have a beginning and an end (so the server only communicates that this has begun, and then only communicates that it has ended. Or, possibly, have it send once every 5 minutes that a storm is happening (so just in case the first packets got lost and this client doesnt know) and then, when it is over, it sends sunny packets once every 5 minutes. Then, the client, based on what it gets from the server would have a number of different versions of 'storm' that it could do, and this would only be for immersion/diversity. A storms intensity (in this example) would not change the amount of effect it had on a player (not unless the intensity was also sent every 5 minutes or whatever). In this case, we could have many different type of weather going on and have the client (renderer) taking care of it all. We could make penalties (ie. slowing down movement, or cant cast a spell) constant during these intervals, so as to not cause problems on clients with bad connections, but still have their intended effect. This would make it so the server/client communication does not get complicated, but would also allow us to have many differnt varieties of storms (weather occurances).

--------------------
Erik Briggs (Jerky)
Project Manager
My Blog
+Quote Post
Mole
post Mar 23 2005, 03:07 PM
Post #16

PW Consultant

I think that having some "realistic" weather would be a good thing for the game. I am all in favor of doing this too. But as Sil has said, we are not making a real-world weather simulation engine -- we are making a game.

With that in mind, I think that we CAN have weather patterns and that we CAN have changing weather and that we CAN have storms, etc. The thing we cannot do is make them follow some sort of "real world" pattern.

This is something that I would like to see in our game. At this point having weather patterns would be a low priority. Weather would be something that we would add near the end.

--------------------
Co-Founder & Consultant
Project Wish
+Quote Post
Sirholmes
post Apr 11 2005, 01:20 PM
Post #17

Familiar Face

Member No.: 461

I agree with weather patterns, that come across the map. Rain, Snow, Heat and Dry.

Eg. in the dessert it rains very little, so when a weather pattern is triggered the vegitation should be effected, ponds with fish, uncover rocks and treasures, things should be greener. These things should be as rare as the rain. Extra points ect.
+Quote Post
nero5684
post May 27 2005, 03:58 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 511

I'm glad I found this thread before I posted another full of that stuff heh. It pretty much covers everything I was thinking about Weather (at this time)

There is one thing though that was only lightly mentioned, and that was with the ideas of seasons. I think that plants should be specifically seasonal (yes, this would take research on what plants grow when and what they produce at any specific time.. though this could be generalized into 2-3 seasons, the 'growing/blooming season' and the 'dormant' season, and maybe the third could be a season in which they produce a different type of resource, say in spring blackberry bushes produce vines which could be used for whips or something, and then in summer it produces fruit, and then it's dormant.. something like that) I just think the idea of seasonal plants would be nice.

Oh, and maybe have weather affect the terrain (in the desert, the winds can create constantly shifting dunes so the terrain is different everytime. If there is a hurricane or strong wind, trees, and maybe buildings, can be leveled and lightning can strike and cause fires)
+Quote Post
exocrine
post Jun 25 2005, 11:48 PM
Post #19

Veteran

Member No.: 509

I think Nero's suggestion af seasonal resources holds a lot of promise in terms of trade, especially if growing seasons vary based on location.

As another blackberry example, imagine that blackberries are a required ingredient in a few recipes, spells and dyes. In the spring and summer, blackberries can be harvested throughout the north end of the continent, and in the south during the fall and winter. It could be set up so that as the northern supply begins to diminish, the southern supply begins to increase, such that total availability never changes, but there would be areas of high and low availability. If NPC buy/sell prices changed based on supply and demand, this would create an opportunity for traders to make a few bucks by moving resources from one area to another. During the winter, players could buy blackberries cheaply in the south, and sell them at inflated prices in the north.

Thoughts?

-----
Exocrine

--------------------
exocrine
+Quote Post
Shaidar
post Jul 6 2005, 10:47 AM
Post #20

Veteran

Member No.: 528

I think that seasons would be an awesome way to implement price inflation/deflation with a purpose. It would also provide traders with a general idea of what is needed where and where to go and get it. I think that an over all change of scenery though would be too difficult, it would be nice but its not needed, just do the basic MMO style weather. The resource fluxuation could be done fairly easily I would think, just set it up so that when the code says its winter it also says all black berry bushes in region A are barren, or whatever.

--------------------

World Concept Team Member
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 06:49 PM
Original skin by: b6gm6n | Conversion by: Chris Y
hardwired
  hardwired
hardwired hardwired
hardwired hardwired