Project Wish  
Project Wish
Project Wish
hardwired

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Capping skill gains, Balancing skill gains to get rid of the possibility of having maxed ou
Areena
post Jan 18 2008, 12:20 PM
Post #1

PW Story Team

Group: PW Developer
Member No.: 48

I'd like to start off by saying that IMO one the worst ways to get around people maxing skills out is skill loss over time. A much better solution is to make a cap at what your skills can add up to.

Say for simplicities sake that there are 20 combat skills you can level up. Different swords and spells or whatever. What if you gave the player a total skill cap that was high enough to allow say 2 skills to be at 100% and maybe three more at like 75%, 5 more at 35% and the remaining ten extremely low like 5 or something. that would give you a total skill cap of 650% divided amongst those 20 skills or a max of 32.5% if you level all the skills at once, or any other combination.

Now say after you played with your Fire Swordsman for 6 months, you decide that you're sick of nuking things with fireballs and then hacking them to bits with your sword. Maybe you want to put the violence behind you and start helping the wounded. But alas, you've already reached the total skill cap. In order to raise your healing skill you're going to have to sacrifice some other skills. So as you gain skill in healing all of your other skills start to fall.

--------------------
Areena, citizen of Kemilnar
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Maxwell
post Jan 18 2008, 01:39 PM
Post #2

Master

Group: Members
Member No.: 560

So your saying lose skill based on skill gain and not based over time. It very similar just with a fine line. I like the idea, it allows casual player's to keep being casual. Unless of course if they mean game time. Then I like their idea better, it keeps the world clean of players just sitting around. Then again if you do that then who will go to the taverens just to talk. I guess its just a toss up.

--------------------
Programming is a complex blend of art, science, logic, engineering, design, and craftsmanship
-Steve Yegge
+Quote Post
Areena
post Jan 18 2008, 01:57 PM
Post #3

PW Story Team

well with the max total points you don't start losing skill until you've reached the cap whereas with losing overtime you generally lose skill even if all your skills are at like 5%.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Hankellin
post Jan 19 2008, 08:16 AM
Post #4

Veteran

Member No.: 72

I know there was a thread discussing this or similar skill loss..

I put forth the idea that you have certain levels of skill;

Apprentice; Proficient; Journeyman; Master; Grand-Master; Elder

and once a level was gained you could only loose down to that level.

ie: apprentice that has befome proficient working towards Journeyman... if the player stops all skill use, in say bowl crafting, his skill would slowly dwindle down to the level of apprentice.

He would never forget how to make a bowl, he would just not be as good at it as someone that practiced continually.

I also feel that it should not take as long to regain what he lost as it took to gain in the first place... recalling tricks/techniques that he had simply not used in a long time. Twice as fast to recover what he had lost?

Thoughts?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Minthos
post Jan 19 2008, 09:13 AM
Post #5

PW Programmer

Member No.: 198

QUOTE(Areena @ Jan 18 2008, 08:57 PM) *

well with the max total points you don't start losing skill until you've reached the cap whereas with losing overtime you generally lose skill even if all your skills are at like 5%.

According to who?
+Quote Post
Areena
post Jan 19 2008, 09:56 AM
Post #6

PW Story Team

According to who?

that is just the only way I've ever seen it implemented

I know there was a thread discussing this or similar skill loss..

and once a level was gained you could only loose down to that level.

ie: apprentice that has befome proficient working towards Journeyman... if the player stops all skill use, in say bowl crafting, his skill would slowly dwindle down to the level of apprentice.

He would never forget how to make a bowl, he would just not be as good at it as someone that practiced continually.

I also feel that it should not take as long to regain what he lost as it took to gain in the first place... recalling tricks/techniques that he had simply not used in a long time. Twice as fast to recover what he had lost?

Thoughts?

i may have read the thread but it was awhile ago. if you could provide a link, that would be awesome. but what is to stop someone from leveling one skill to elder, then switch to another skill to level to elder and so on and so forth. i now it would take forever and not be very practical, but they could still achieve max everything which isn't very believable.

and as far as regaining lost skills twice as fast, yes it makes sense as far as that's how it goes in the real world, but as far as balance goes i think it throws the game more towards the power gamer corner again.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mortideus
post Jan 19 2008, 11:06 AM
Post #7

PW Founder

Member No.: 5

QUOTE(Areena @ Jan 18 2008, 01:20 PM) *

I'd like to start off by saying that IMO one the worst ways to get around people maxing skills out is skill loss over time. A much better solution is to make a cap at what your skills can add up to.

Say for simplicities sake that there are 20 combat skills you can level up. Different swords and spells or whatever. What if you gave the player a total skill cap that was high enough to allow say 2 skills to be at 100% and maybe three more at like 75%, 5 more at 35% and the remaining ten extremely low like 5 or something. that would give you a total skill cap of 650% divided amongst those 20 skills or a max of 32.5% if you level all the skills at once, or any other combination.

Now say after you played with your Fire Swordsman for 6 months, you decide that you're sick of nuking things with fireballs and then hacking them to bits with your sword. Maybe you want to put the violence behind you and start helping the wounded. But alas, you've already reached the total skill cap. In order to raise your healing skill you're going to have to sacrifice some other skills. So as you gain skill in healing all of your other skills start to fall.

I like this idea. Reason being, most of you that know me will know this, is because it's how wish did it. It was a could way to customize gameplay, and get away from the standard class scheme. This way, groups of players wont have to look for certain classes, so I believe it will help improve player interaction. Definitely would like to see this implemented into the game.

QUOTE(Hankellin @ Jan 19 2008, 09:16 AM) *

Weren't those the exact names that wished used for their skill levels?

--------------------
Mortideus
Founder/*Old* Project Wish Leader
+Quote Post
Hankellin
post Jan 20 2008, 09:22 PM
Post #8

Veteran

Member No.: 72

QUOTE(mortideus @ Jan 19 2008, 09:06 AM) *

I like this idea. Reason being, most of you that know me will know this, is because it's how wish did it. It was a could way to customize gameplay, and get away from the standard class scheme. This way, groups of players wont have to look for certain classes, so I believe it will help improve player interaction. Definitely would like to see this implemented into the game.
Weren't those the exact names that wished used for their skill levels?

I know they had apprentice and journeyman. that is as far as I got before it was canned. :-(

In wish I believe you were limited to three skills until you reached a certain lvl of proficiency... then you were able to add one skill at a time. wiht a max of three in apprentice.

I do not think there was a limit on how many you could know just on how many you had at the apprentice lvl.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mortideus
post Jan 21 2008, 07:32 PM
Post #9

PW Founder

QUOTE(Hankellin @ Jan 20 2008, 10:22 PM) *

I know they had apprentice and journeyman. that is as far as I got before it was canned. :-(
In wish I believe you were limited to three skills until you reached a certain lvl of proficiency... then you were able to add one skill at a time. wiht a max of three in apprentice.

I do not think there was a limit on how many you could know just on how many you had at the apprentice lvl.

It was 3 per level. It was a really nice system, that allowed people to fully customized their character skills, without letting people become totally overpowered. You could have 3 skills maxed out, 3 skills 10 points below that, and so on a so forth. It was an excellent system. I believe the max amount of skill points was 80, so you could only have 24 skills.

--------------------
Mortideus
+Quote Post
Areena
post Jan 21 2008, 09:30 PM
Post #10

PW Story Team

ok, wow, i knew i liked the idea too much to have come up with it by meself

--------------------
+Quote Post
mortideus
post Jan 22 2008, 12:46 PM
Post #11

PW Founder

QUOTE(Areena @ Jan 21 2008, 10:30 PM) *

ok, wow, i knew i liked the idea too much to have come up with it by meself

Heh. Well, bringing the idea back is just as good as making it up. smile.gif I really like this idea and think it should be implemented.

--------------------
Mortideus
+Quote Post
RicoSuave
post Jan 22 2008, 07:52 PM
Post #12

Master

Member No.: 585

Remember... Mutable Realms based Wish off of Ultima Online and wanted Wish to be all the things that they "wished" UO could have been back then had they the technology to do so. Also, Mutable Realms employed quite a few of the original designers of UO, so it was made/expected to be very UO-ish.

ahhh, memories... Now I'm going to have to bust out my UO disk and serve myself up some power scrolls compliments of Neira the Necromancer.
IPB Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:06 PM
Original skin by: b6gm6n | Conversion by: Chris Y
hardwired
  hardwired
hardwired hardwired
hardwired hardwired