Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Skill System
Jaramar
post Sep 14 2006, 09:34 AM
Post #1

PW Story Team

Group: PW Developer
Member No.: 137

Just thought I'd put up a list of possible skills here that I'd worked on over the summer, the crafting skills are no where near complete though. I'll be putting in more little comments as I work on this today.

Coloration:
Skill Catagory
Visible
Visible and has optional "Ability Sets".
Hidden
Ability Sets, Spells, and Crafting Recipes

Melee Skills:
-Damage Types:
--Piercing (Small bonus to chance to hit and damage while using Piercing style weapons in melee combat regardless of actual damage type.)
--Slashing (Small bonus to chance to hit and damage while using Slashing style weapons in melee combat regardless of actual damage type.)
--Bludgeoning (Small bonus to chance to hit and damage while using Bludgeoning style weapons in melee combat regardless of actual damage type.)
-Styles: (All styles give additional chance to hit as well.)
--One Handed (Moderate bonus to dodge and casting speed as well as a small bonus to melee damage while using a single One Handed weapon.)
--Two Handed (Moderate bonus to melee damage while using a Two Handed weapon.)
--Dual Wield (Small bonus to melee damage, dodge, and parry while using two One Handed weapons.)
--Weapon and Shield (Moderate bonus to shield usage and a small bonus to melee damage while using a One Handed weapon and Shield.)
-Weapons: (All weapon skills get chance to hit and damage bonuses while raising in addition to anything mentioned specifically.)
--Axes
--Daggers (Small bonus to dodge, casting speed, and parry.)
--Hammers
--Maces (Flail skill available after extensive use of the Maces skill.)
--Short Pole Weapons (Hunting Spears fall into this catagory while in melee combat and in the Javalin catagory for ranged combat.)
--Swords
--Unarmed (Gives a large bonus to dodge and casting speed but may only parry Bludgeoning and Piercing weapons and will still take half damage.)
(Full sized polearms are only for usage against mounted opponents!)

Ranged Skills:
-Accuracy (Increased chance to hit and a small bonus to ranged damage due to extensive use of different Ranged weapons.)
-Weapons: (All weapon skills get chance to hit and damage bonuses while raising in addition to anything mentioned specifically.)
--Bows
--Crossbows (Repeating Crossbow skill available after extensive use of the Crossbow skill.)
--Javelins (Hunting Spears fall into this catagory while in ranged combat and in the Short Pole Weapons catagory for melee combat.)
--Thrown Weapons

Defence:
-Dodging (Takes penalties dependant on weight and type of the armor.)
-Parrying (Takes penalties dependant on weight and type of the weapon.)
-Shields (Usable with one handed melee and ranged weapons.)
-Armor:
--Chainmail (Gives a slight bonus to defence while wearing Chainmail. Chainmail armor causes a moderate speed decrease and dodging penalty. Slow casting speed.)
--Leather (Gives a slight bonus to defence while wearing Leather. Leather armor causes a small speed decrease and dodging penalty. Moderate casting speed.)
--Platemail (Gives a slight bonus to defence while wearing Platemail. Platemail armor causes a large speed decrease and dodging penalty. EXTREMELY slow casting speed and unable to cast War Spells.)
--Unarmored (Gives a slight bonus to defence while not wearing armor. Not wearing armor causes no penalties. Fast casting speed.)

Magic:
-Enchantments (Supposedly due to some lore requirement but really for balance and variety each character can either choose Enchantments which are self buffs or Healing which is for healing, ressurection, and status effect removal. Enchantment skill also gives a bonus to War spells while Healing gives a bonus to Summoning spells.)
-Healing (Supposedly due to some lore requirement but really for balance and variety each character can either choose Enchantments which are self buffs or Healing which is for healing, ressurection, and status effect removal. Enchantment skill also gives a bonus to War spells while Healing gives a bonus to Summoning spells.)
-Summoning: (While a summoned creature or creatures are active you may not engage in melee or ranged combat. This could supposedly be due to needing to keep ones mind in the "casting" mentality but is also to make sure that we don't have everyone and thier grandmother with summoned pets.)
--Creatures
--Elementals
--Undead
--Drains (Not summoning spells exactly but more appropriate to this school then to being a War Spell.)
-War Spells:
--Acid
--Bludgeoning
--Fire
--Ice
--Lighting
--Piercing
--Slashing

Crafting:
-Hunting
--Butchering (Every 25 points in Skinning gives a +1 skill point bonus but only if the corpse has been skinned.)
---Butcher Creature
--Skinning (Shearing skill available after extensive use of the Skinning skill.)
---Skin Creature
---Shear Creature
-Metalworking
--Mining
---Dig
---Extract Gems
---Extract Ore
---Extract Stone
--Smelting
---Smelt Ore
--Blacksmithing
---Create Arrowheads
---Create Crafting Knife
---Create Framework
---Create Hammer
---Create Nails
---Create Needles
---Create Pick
---Create Pot
---Create Saw
---Create Smith's Hammer
---Create Wood Axe
-Woodworking
--Wood Harvesting
---Harvest Wood
--Carpentry
---Create Beam
---Create Board
---Create Pole
---Create Shingles

-Alchemy (Every 10 points in Cooking gives a +1 skill point bonus.)
--Brew Alchemical Oil
--Brew Alchemical Poison
--Brew Cloth Dye
--Brew Leather Dye
--Brew Metal Paint
--Brew Paint
--Brew Potion
--Create Alchemical Item
-Armorsmithing
--Create Buckler
--Create Small Round Shield
--Create Medium Kite Shield
--Create Medium Round Shield
--Create Large Kite Shield
--Create Tower Shield
--Create Chainmail Armor
--Create Splintmail Armor
--Create Platemail Armor
--Create Metal Boots
--Paint Armor
-Construction (Every 10 points in Carpentry gives a +1 skill point bonus to wooden constructions, while every 10 points in Mining gives a +1 skill point bonus to stone constuctions. If a construction has both wood and stone you only get a +1 for every 15 points in Carpentry and Mining combined.)
-Cooking (Every 15 points in Skinning and Butchering combined gives a +1 skill point bonus.)
-Enchanting (Every 10 levels in Enchantment gives a +1 skill point bonus.)
-Fletching
-Leatherworking
--Tan Leather
--Create Leather Armor
--Create Studded Leather Armor
--Create Leather Boots
--Create Leather Shoes
--Dye Leather
--Waterproof Leather
-Tailoring
--Spin Thread
--Dye Clothing
--Weave Cloak
--Weave Dress
--Weave Pants
--Weave Robe
--Weave Shirt
--Weave Cloth Shoes
-Weaponsmithing

(This is a VERY basic example of the craft system which is still a work in progress. For example right now quarrying is lumped in with mining. This should change.)

Random Notes and Thoughts:
Armor Penalties and Crafting ideas - http://forums.projectwish.com/index.php?showtopic=5376
Armor types equals more quick access slots which are the only ones available in battle?
Poison?
Minthos's idea with skill respec points after max?

--------------------
-Jaramar Hillslayer
Insane Gnome

"'Live and let live' is my philosophy these days," I remarked.
Random chuckled.
"What a quaint notion. I'll bet it will last all of five minutes."

-Nine Princes in Amber
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Marly
post Jan 28 2009, 10:25 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,192

The idea's I have are uncountable, but there are some select idea's which instantly came to my mind when reading the other people their idea's. The idea's may not be of instant use, but it are some discussion points.

The MMORPG that is leading the business at the moment is, as you probably all know, is World of Warcraft. But, having played this game several times, I came to the conclusion that this game isn't perfect at all (I know 'perfect' is the wrong word, because nothing is perfect, but people seem to think WoW is 'the unbeatable MMORPG'). The mistakes that Blizzard is making with World of Warcraft shouldn't be made with this game.

World of Warcraft is based completely on leveling. I have certain complaints (comments) on this.
World of Warcraft does good by having no end-game content, but Blizzard is pushing you towards that point (the highest level) too much. It is good that there is end-game content, which wasn't available in the earlier MMORPG's, but end-game content is not what it is all about. The trick is to not let the user know that he is playing end-game content. That way there will be no rushing towards a certain level. All people should have the same experience, the same rights, etc. For example; Some things (like certain battlegrounds and mounts) are only available at the highest level. Raids can only be done when having reached the level cap aswell. I think you should either have no level at all or be having a level that's so high that it is almost impossible to reach. This way you prevent people from rushing to a certain level for having certain content which you don't have at a lower level.

Now I hear you think. "No level? Isn't that kind of boring?". Well, why would you want to base a game completely on level. I mean, why can't you base a game on other aspects. You could i.e. have skill levels. Your skill level will go up when having used it xxxx times (which increases per level) or having done xxxx damage with the certain skill. These are just examples, but I'm trying to say with this that the level is just an easy way of leading the way structured, but it doesn't stop at levels! There are numerous other possibilities, which will not have the players rush to a certain level.

I also think a player should have the possibility to be a mage with plate armour. It won't affect his playing, it would only slow him down enormously compared to cloth. Having said that, plate armour and magic is a bad combination, but it should be possible. Therefore, my idea on this is that a player should start blank. No choosing of races, he should start like any other player (except from his looks of course). He could choose to start leveling his melee class (which will be divided into the two-handed class, one-handed class and main-handed class (sword ans shield), which will in their turn be devided the sword class, mace class, dagger class ... U get the idea). When he has reached level 128 (not because this is the max, it's just an example) in one handed - maces, he could choose to start training his fire (magic) skills. Which can, on their turn, be leveled to a high level. This should be balanced.

The maximum level (either for your character and/or his specializations) should be unknown. I don't think should be made public, because this will keep certain players from having fun. They will instead rush to that level.

When gaining levels you access new kinds of attacks, but not specifically stronger attacks. I think it should be fun to make it a matter of luck. When you reach level 10 in one-handed maces i.e., you get the knockback skill (which does no damage, but knocks your character back), while you get that on level 50 aswell. Knockback could be used to drive your enemies into impossible positions. - This all are idea's of which I am not certain if they would be of good use to the game, but it are some idea's which could be worth considering in the future.

The main reason for posting this is to say that all content should be available at any level. A new user should have the same possibilities as an experienced user. I am not saying that by playing you shouldn't get rewards, I am saying that the system should be balanced towards having fun more then towards leveling. Games are games because you have fun with them in the end, and not for playing to reach a certain level and then have it stop. No, the level shouldn't decide where the fun ends, the user should decide, and it should be our main goal to provide a world in which the user will never get this feeling. A world in which players have the possibility of endlessly doing things, without being called a 'noob' just because you are a lower level or worrying about 'twinks' (players camping at a certain level to be the best at that level). All players should have the same gaming experience, regardless what their level or experience is.

My main reason for bringing this forward is because I believe this is the weakness of WoW. I know this is not the only weakness, and that WoW can not be improved on other points, but I'd like to start somewhere with this discussion.

Marly

EDIT: It seems that this is the wrong place for this post. Could someone direct it to the right place? Thanks.

This post has been edited by Marly: Jan 28 2009, 10:39 AM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Jaramar   Skill System   Sep 14 2006, 09:34 AM
Minthos   I've done some thinking on skill distribution ...   Sep 14 2006, 04:11 PM
Jaramar   We could do the distribution point method but I ha...   Sep 14 2006, 04:25 PM
RicoSuave   Miscellaneous Damage: - Poison -- Slow damage ove...   Sep 14 2006, 06:43 PM
xardy   I'm missing the basic skill of all , strenght:...   Sep 15 2006, 03:36 AM
Honis   Some ideas about skill sets came up in Combat: Wea...   Sep 15 2006, 11:00 AM
RicoSuave   Playing off your INTELLIGENCE idea, Honis, perhaps...   Sep 15 2006, 02:57 PM
Dwilf   I'd like to know how you see these skills work...   Sep 15 2006, 03:51 PM
Razaekel   Just a quick reply to Dwilf's question of how ...   Sep 16 2006, 07:52 PM
Jaramar   You increase your skills ONLY through usage. W...   Sep 16 2006, 09:10 PM
RicoSuave   I'm not one of those people. I hate the DING...   Sep 16 2006, 10:24 PM
Jaramar   I'd been talking to Razakiel about this actu...   Sep 16 2006, 10:37 PM
Minthos   If players want a "character level" that...   Sep 17 2006, 08:37 AM
Dwilf   I'm more of the opinion - If players want a ...   Sep 17 2006, 04:00 PM
Jaramar   Your Training Credits make it even more level ba...   Sep 18 2006, 01:13 AM
RicoSuave   Jaramar is right. Munchkiny will always be present...   Sep 18 2006, 07:47 AM
Matlush   I see it like that: Use skill - > Get higher s...   Sep 18 2006, 07:57 AM
Dwilf   Re: Training Credits, Maybe I didn't explain i...   Sep 18 2006, 09:54 AM
Matlush   I would argue that. Fighting, getting to NPC to...   Sep 18 2006, 10:46 AM
Jaramar   And here using a Two Handed Mace would get you: ...   Sep 18 2006, 12:49 PM
glibdud   Is there a discussion of a skills system somewhere...   Mar 31 2007, 11:58 AM
Pandra   Is there a discussion of a skills system somewher...   Mar 31 2007, 02:27 PM
glibdud   Well I'll throw my ideas for a general skills ...   Mar 31 2007, 03:28 PM
jaminben   I like that idea glibdud, and it seems to be in th...   Mar 31 2007, 05:06 PM
Exudos   I'd like to throw my two cents here, appropria...   Mar 31 2007, 10:55 PM
glibdud   My previous post was moved from another thread bef...   Apr 3 2007, 01:04 PM
Dwilf   I have to say that I agree with Glibdud's last...   Apr 3 2007, 01:51 PM
glibdud   I'm in favor of skill decay but would prefer ...   Apr 3 2007, 03:47 PM
Maxwell   I like the teaching/training system. I think ther...   Apr 4 2007, 09:15 AM
Dwilf   To be clear; yes, I'm suggesting combat permad...   Apr 4 2007, 10:39 AM
Maxwell   Nice setup, so why couldn't we just have a dea...   Apr 4 2007, 11:09 AM
glibdud   Nice setup, so why couldn't we just have a de...   Apr 4 2007, 01:08 PM
Dwilf   Maybe having your next character as an heir to the...   Apr 4 2007, 01:42 PM
Minthos   Mourning (dead mmorpg project) planned to have blo...   Apr 5 2007, 12:28 AM
Exudos   Ahhh, I see how it could work, the perma death. Yo...   Apr 5 2007, 07:38 PM
Jerky   Thats a good brief summary of the idea. That gets...   Apr 5 2007, 10:41 PM
glibdud   Thats a good brief summary of the idea. That get...   Apr 6 2007, 12:51 PM
Bent Coin   Hi all. I recently joined the forums, and enjoyed ...   May 15 2007, 05:28 AM
Maxwell   I like that Idea, but what is something a player i...   May 15 2007, 10:04 AM
Honis   back to the subject of player skill degrigation. ...   May 15 2007, 12:02 PM
glibdud   I gave some thought to the idea of permadeath only...   May 16 2007, 08:04 AM
Alexander   I gave some thought to the idea of permadeath onl...   May 16 2007, 12:23 PM
echorev   i think there should be some regions on the map wh...   May 16 2007, 08:21 AM
Maxwell   Glibdud you nailed it, at least for me. All of th...   May 16 2007, 12:45 PM
Alexander   Glibdud you nailed it, at least for me. All of t...   May 17 2007, 03:17 AM
glibdud   To address the concerns about players wanting to s...   May 16 2007, 03:47 PM
echorev   !!!! i agree with everything glibd...   May 16 2007, 04:12 PM
Maxwell   Wow that diffinatly cemented that for me. Thanks ...   May 16 2007, 09:11 PM
Honis   subject of Skill Degradation: We could make it ha...   May 17 2007, 08:48 AM
glibdud   subject of Skill Degradation: We could make it h...   May 17 2007, 09:29 AM
Alexander   Skill decay only in on-time? Bad idea. If the gam...   May 18 2007, 03:03 AM
Honis   This idea is being discussed in here: Leaving th...   May 18 2007, 08:24 AM
glibdud   I'm not very keen on letting skills increase ...   May 18 2007, 11:08 AM
Alexander   Oh please no, please, please, please don't go ...   May 18 2007, 12:38 PM
glibdud   I've read an article on WoW's design and ...   May 18 2007, 01:12 PM
Alexander   *sigh* As sad as I think it is I believe your righ...   May 18 2007, 04:20 PM
Battousai   I am not sure if this is the right area to post th...   Mar 25 2008, 01:18 PM
Jerky   I am not sure if this is the right area to post t...   Mar 26 2008, 12:57 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:20 AM
Original skin by: b6gm6n | Conversion by: Chris Y
hardwired
  hardwired
hardwired hardwired
hardwired hardwired