Reply to this topicStart new topic
> DWARF and a dirt texture, just some fun with materials and DWARF
joshpurple
post May 4 2007, 12:02 AM
Post #1

PW Artist

Group: PW Developer
Member No.: 613

This is compressed (HyperCam screen capture to gif), but I was happy to see the results of what a default Max 'dirt' texture looked like in DWARF;

IPB Image
(I put the dirt terrain mesh above the ground)

I was not able to get shadows to show-up. I tried F7, and I reduced the number of lights in the DWARF scene to one spot. I did have the cast shadows selected. And I reduced the scene's ambient light to 0. It looks like the objects scale affects the objects brightness in DWARF? When I added the dirt mesh at a Scale value of 1, it looked like it had a very bright ambient light to it. When I scaled it up to 4 or 5, it lost it's very bright ambient light (looking like the example above).

Great to mess with, I look forward to doing more with DWARF smile.gif .

--------------------
IPB Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cobra
post May 4 2007, 02:52 AM
Post #2

PW Senior Artist

Member No.: 80

Yes, the light normals change when you scale the object. It's an option we are going to probably have as selectable in the newer versions, rather than mandatory.

--------------------
Project Wish Senior Artist

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Cobra
post May 4 2007, 08:42 AM
Post #3

PW Senior Artist

Btw-- nice to see you are still experimenting with DWARF! So Am I actually, -snip- forgot this was public >.<

IPB Image

--------------------

IPB Image
+Quote Post
echorev
post May 4 2007, 09:03 AM
Post #4

PW Sound Team

Member No.: 864

cobra is that an actual shot from DWARF ?

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
joshpurple
post May 4 2007, 09:07 AM
Post #5

PW Artist

Outstanding! And Thank You Cobra smile.gif . That looks GREAT!

(And I think that's the same program I have, Yay! biggrin.gif )

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Cobra
post May 4 2007, 10:16 AM
Post #6

PW Senior Artist

Yes it is echo, and thanks JP smile.gif

Even with our still simple tool we can create beutiful scenes.

Keep up the good work Josh

--------------------

IPB Image
+Quote Post
John
post May 4 2007, 10:17 AM
Post #7

PW Artist

Member No.: 593

Just a curiosity, what sort of texture resolution are we looking at in these two images? Like the tree, and the dirt ground (how many repetions if any)?
+Quote Post
Cobra
post May 4 2007, 10:27 AM
Post #8

PW Senior Artist

The tree is textured using 2 texture files. One for the leaves and one for the trunk. Both are 256x256 PNGs.

here's another I did some time ago;

IPB Image

--------------------

IPB Image
+Quote Post
joshpurple
post May 4 2007, 10:30 AM
Post #9

PW Artist

QUOTE(John @ May 4 2007, 04:17 AM) *

Just a curiosity, what sort of texture resolution are we looking at in these two images? Like the tree, and the dirt ground (how many repetions if any)?

Ah, good question John, and I should have posted that smile.gif . The dirt is 512 x 512, jpg (but you are looking at the gif compression). Here's the dirt texture:

IPB Image

This looks a little stretched, but that is from my relaxing of the UV's (so the texture would 'fit' the ground mesh better).

----------------

Edit: Another nice shot Cobra! smile.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
John
post May 4 2007, 10:43 AM
Post #10

PW Artist

Member No.: 593

Okay, the ground texture still looks pretty good, even through the compression, but the tree texture up that close looks a little hazed. Is that just stretching/warping, or are we looking at using 512x512 textures for most surfaces of that size?
+Quote Post
Cobra
post May 4 2007, 11:03 AM
Post #11

PW Senior Artist

We will most likely use 512x512 textures for the trees. The default materials included with the tool I used were not satisfactory.

With parallax mapping and specular maps it should look excellent. Besides that self-shadowing is a big plus when it comes to trees.

--------------------

IPB Image
+Quote Post
RicoSuave
post May 4 2007, 01:05 PM
Post #12

Master

Group: Members
Member No.: 585

I don't know a fraction of what you guys do with art and visual design, so I'm a little sheepish in asking this. How many light sources are there in your two jpgs Cobra? It looks like all light is ambient only.

If I understand correctly, there can be dozens of unique types of light sources, for example, the single bright spot (Sun), the reflective light off shiny objects, the reflective light off dull yet bright objects, ambient light, atmospheric light (filtering), and on & on. I know the shots you posted are only drafts/experiments, and that I wouldn't even qualify myself as a novice, however, it seems like the blades of grass and the leaves on the trees need a strong shadow on one side of them. From what I've learned, there would probably be some type of very very light green filter down near the base of the tree trunk. Does DWARF allow for many different light types (not just single sources)? How about scattered light through a dusty environment? Is there a way to change the reflective property of a tile in different areas of it (i.e. have a sappy area on a tree trunk that still looks like the texture or perhaps even having it look like it just rained over the whole tree)? Is adding shadow the last step in the process?

(I wish I knew more about this topic) mellow.gif
+Quote Post
joshpurple
post May 4 2007, 01:52 PM
Post #13

PW Artist

You're awesome Rico, and no worries at all about your background smile.gif . I think you've asked a ton of outstanding questions, -bully for you! biggrin.gif

I don't know all the answers, but I always recommend playing with DWARF to see the fun, woo! woo! smile.gif

One aspect to DWARF is, it's the World Editor, but not the Game Engine itself. A lot of of the questions you have asked ( I think ) will be more directly involved in the Game Engine. The World Editor is for creating the levels that will then be used in-game. So a number of items may not need to be supported in DWARF, but will be supported in-game. And, that's just my guess, Cobra and others know a lot more than I do biggrin.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
njpaul
post May 4 2007, 02:12 PM
Post #14

PW Client Team Lead

Group: PW Team Leader
Member No.: 611

Just a note about why scaling affects lighting. When an object gets scaled, so do the normals. By default Ogre will not renormalize the normals so lighting works correct. They opted by default for speed instead of style. The SVN version of Dwarf has the change made so normals are renormalized. However, when textures are put on the object through shaders, this problem does not exist because the shader has to normalize normals anyways (well, it doesn't have to I suppose, but not normalizing a speed optimization you can perform to make the trade off between speed and quality; it also reduces the instruction count if you are hitting those constraints in the shader).

Also, I'm not too sure we are going to want to parallax map things like trees. It's rather expensive and there are a lot of them. It'd be fine to have a render quality option for such things though.

On a side note, I'm not even a huge fan of parallax mapping. I like what it can produce, but after seeing parallax occlusion mapping nothing really compares. I can't wait to see what kind of things are possible with geometry shaders too. I imagine our art will start off with techniques common today, but over time we'll add patches to the game to increase the rendering quality using newer techniques as they come along.
+Quote Post
Jerky
post May 4 2007, 02:28 PM
Post #15

Former PW Project Manager

Group: PW Admin
Member No.: 62

QUOTE(joshpurple @ May 4 2007, 01:52 PM) *

One aspect to DWARF is, it's the World Editor, but not the Game Engine itself. A lot of of the questions you have asked ( I think ) will be more directly involved in the Game Engine. The World Editor is for creating the levels that will then be used in-game. So a number of items may not need to be supported in DWARF, but will be supported in-game. And, that's just my guess, Cobra and others know a lot more than I do biggrin.gif

Exactly what I would have said. You know more than you think wink.gif.

Another note is, we are redoing DWARF, pretty much from the ground up again. This version was to show we could do something. The next will be much better.

--------------------
Erik Briggs (Jerky)
Project Manager
My Blog
+Quote Post
joshpurple
post May 4 2007, 02:58 PM
Post #16

PW Artist

Thanks Jerky! smile.gif

QUOTE(njpaul @ May 4 2007, 08:12 AM) *

parallax occlusion mapping nothing really compares. I can't wait to see what kind of things are possible with geometry shaders too. I imagine our art will start off with techniques common today, but over time we'll add patches to the game to increase the rendering quality using newer techniques as they come along.

Njpaul, Brilliant as always! biggrin.gif

Parallax occlusion is great stuff. If anyone has a particular shader, or method, etc. they would like to see used, please feel free to mention it, & I'll be glad to work on it with the 3D stuff smile.gif .

I'll see what I can learn on Parallax occlusion, oFusion, and Max.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Cobra
post May 4 2007, 03:08 PM
Post #17

PW Senior Artist

The strong shadows on the blades of grass and the leaves and so forth is a bug we weren't able to crush before we released DWARF, and still haven't since we are rebuilding it from the ground up anyways.

Here are a pair of screenshots i submitted when submitted the bugreport. Shows the problem quite well smile.gif

IPB Image
IPB Image

Btw; remember that these screenshots are very early drafts of alot of work. As long as I breathe, it will look 100x better. smile.gif

--------------------

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Maxwell
post May 4 2007, 09:35 PM
Post #18

Master

Group: Members
Member No.: 560

Wow this is very neat thread, I have no clue what any of this is. Just to throw an Idea out there, maybe someone could write an article on it.

--------------------
Programming is a complex blend of art, science, logic, engineering, design, and craftsmanship
-Steve Yegge
+Quote Post
joshpurple
post May 4 2007, 09:39 PM
Post #19

PW Artist

Thank You Maxwell! biggrin.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
njpaul
post May 4 2007, 10:01 PM
Post #20

PW Client Team Lead

Group: PW Team Leader
Member No.: 611

QUOTE(joshpurple @ May 4 2007, 04:58 PM) *

Parallax occlusion is great stuff. If anyone has a particular shader, or method, etc. they would like to see used, please feel free to mention it, & I'll be glad to work on it with the 3D stuff smile.gif .

I may take you up (and any other one of our artists) on that offer. I want to make a simple scene in Ogre to play with shaders. I just haven't had time to do this, but I should have more time next week, since I'm graduating tomorrow. Basically I want to design a scene that uses, or has the potential to use, a variety of shader effects. I'd need someone to do the modeling and texturing though. I could make the final results into a tech demo for us too if we wanted.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 12:12 AM
Original skin by: b6gm6n | Conversion by: Chris Y
hardwired
  hardwired
hardwired hardwired
hardwired hardwired