Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Time for another update
Jerky
post Jul 16 2007, 11:10 PM
Post #1

Former PW Project Manager

Group: PW Admin
Member No.: 62

Well, as for Project heartbeats go, here is another. We are still working away on the project's underbelly. We recently reorganized our process to include an actual game designer. Its been a long time coming, but honestly we wern't ready until now to get down to the nitty gritty. Much of the last 2.5 years has been learning for all of us. We now have reached the point where there were sufficient enough ideas in the forums to make an entire game out of.

This game designer has complted the arduous task of reading ALL of the ideas in the various forums and has compiled them. He researched the original Wish and what PW is trying to be and came up with a overview of who we are. Many newcomers to PW have commented that it is hard to tell exactly what we are. We hope to be able to use this to answer that. We now know what we are, so expect some of these bits of info to be released as we progress.

What does this mean for PW? A lot, actually. We have written a high concept document which will be the first step to a true game design document. What have we waited so long? Like I said, we weren't ready. That doesn't have anything to do with the individuals who have been envolved with the project, but more of the collective. Being a hobby-time project, we compete for the free time of any of our developers. Things wax and things wane. The management finally agreed that it was time to move on. This also means moving away from Agile development. That is a programmers way of organizing a project, but PW is not just a program, its a game. I know Agile is very up-and-coming, and many feel it has its place in the game industry, but for PW, it was time for something else. We had been putting off these important design decisions because that is how is how Agile would have us do it. The short of it was that we were in need of something else, so we took the steps needed to evolve into a leaner, meaner project.

What is being done currently? A number of things really. We have broken our alpha goals down into different tasks. We are close to having a basic server prototype which will serve as the stepping stone for the more complicated design decisions we have made. We are also working on a tech demo that should showcase what our world and engine can do/ look like. At first, we will only release screenshots, but we hope to eventually release this is a downloadable form, so you can see it on your own computer.

For the art team, we have been evolving and revamping our pipeline. New tools come out all the time, and production pipelines in the game industry are constantly changing. Ours is being redesigned with this in mind, to mimic a true game dev environment as closely as possible, while still holding true to our rules (legitimate software only). This requires a level of flexibilty that is not used in a standard pipeline. This pipeline, once completed, will be released to the game dev public so they can have something to go off of. It is very "in-depth" and promises to help those learners and veterans all reach the same level of quality.

What else is going on? Our Story team has been renamed back to "Story Team." They are working on a fresh perspective and original world concept that promises to provide depth to our world. We also recently redid our world map, which will also be released in the future. We re-evaluated some of the things we wanted and came up with a new layout that should provide us with a specific goal to reach.

What about programming? We have a model viewing tool that we hope to be able to release as well. Dwarf is being redesigned/improved so as to mesh in with our game engine and server structure. It is also being updated to the current version of Ogre, which should improve the look. We also have created a utilities library that can be used in other custom game-engines, not just ours. It is currently in Release Candidate form and should be finalized soon. For all you aspiring programmers out there, check back soon to see when this will be released.

What about the future? We are hoping to finish concepting the major design elements soon and begin working on the official design document. While that happens, we are hoping to finish our alpha server prototype and client/game-engine. All the while, Dwarf should be revamped and a tech demo is on the horizon. I do not have any dates yet, but we will continue to release updates to keep people informed.

Thanks to all those who continue to drop by and check us out. We hope you won't be disappointed with what we have in store. 'Til next update!

-PW Development Team

--------------------
Erik Briggs (Jerky)
Project Manager
My Blog
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Pandra
post Jul 16 2007, 11:17 PM
Post #2

Wisdom

Group: Members
Member No.: 640

Muwah!

Now to work on freeing up some time to get back to writting. O.~

--------------------
IPB Image
~by Honis

Kain:: I liberated myself a copy of MS Office 2007 today.
Pandra:: Liberated??
Kain:: With my charm.
Pandra:: Does that mean you slept with someone to obtain softwear?
Kain:: >.>;
Pandra:: You're officially a program geek.
+Quote Post
Maxwell
post Jul 17 2007, 08:10 AM
Post #3

Master

Member No.: 560

Thanks for the update. Keep up the good work!

--------------------
Programming is a complex blend of art, science, logic, engineering, design, and craftsmanship
-Steve Yegge
+Quote Post
RicoSuave
post Jul 17 2007, 09:24 AM
Post #4

Master

Member No.: 585

HOO-RAH!

I'm very excited to take a peek at screenshots, code snipets, client-server traffic, et al. I hope this excitement never fades. However, I also hope that this next step isn't so big that we lose momentum for PW (I think we're okay).

So when will the Art Team be accepting faxes/emails of rough sketches of concept art? I'm no artist (I sometimes mix up which end of the pencil points up), but I'm willing to give 'er a go. Who knows? Maybe I can add something cosmetic to the Gnomeball arena. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Pandra
post Jul 17 2007, 04:12 PM
Post #5

Wisdom

Acctually I've been hinting that we might want to look into a fan art section, and look at ways to reward really exceptional fan art. But that's a ways down the road yet.

--------------------
IPB Image
~by Honis

+Quote Post
RicoSuave
post Jul 18 2007, 10:27 AM
Post #6

Master

R E W A R D ??
... like, like, maybe having an ingame city named after me?? Cool! I'd like that. NO? Okay, maybe a parcel of land then. Not really, huh? Alright, how about a street? I could live with a street. No dice? Well, I guess there's always the inn. Bar? Half-way house? Still no, huh? Hmm, how about a gravestone? What, not even a humble gravestone? Grafitti with my name? Still nothing... well, poop! What? What's that you say? You got to be joking... an OUTHOUSE!? Well, I guess my work really does stink on the same level after all.

Pandra, I'd love to attempt a piece or two and hear what you, JP, Maxwell, et al have to say.

(But not Jerky, he'd be too mean.) tongue.gif

This post has been edited by RicoSuave: Jul 18 2007, 10:29 AM
+Quote Post
Pandra
post Jul 18 2007, 10:42 AM
Post #7

Wisdom

hehehe, you sure you don't have Jerky and I mixed up? I'm the resident team critic. O.~ Jerky's all about encuragment and moral building. I'll just straight up tell you if something is crap tongue.gif

But if you want to draw something and send, I think PMing a link would work best right now. I put my crappy little drawings up in Photo Bucket and then spam the art guys till they cave and go look. happy.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
~by Honis

+Quote Post
RicoSuave
post Jul 18 2007, 01:58 PM
Post #8

Master

It was a complete joke, Pandra. I know Jerky is probably the most, umm, encourager there is (I doubt that's a word). His high hopes and aspirations for this game seem to penetrate every thread in these forums. It's so thick, you can almost smell it over Gassy!

Photo Bucket, you say? Is that like AllYouCanUpload.com? I'll check it out.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:53 AM
Original skin by: b6gm6n | Conversion by: Chris Y
hardwired
  hardwired
hardwired hardwired
hardwired hardwired