Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Magic, Much more than attacking
RicoSuave
post Apr 30 2008, 08:42 PM
Post #1

Master

Group: Members
Member No.: 585

I know we are long from implementing this, but I would like to discuss some ideas of types of spells (or even magic classes) we could possibly implement ingame. I expect this thread to be shoved into the repository of ideas to be addressed in the distant future, however, we could probably get a jump on some ideas for the time being.

We are all familiar with the combat class of magic: Offensive (i.e. elemental dmg-causing, necromatic, ability-limiting, and so forth) and Defensive (i.e. shielding, healing, escaping, "buffs," and so forth). But what OTHER types of magic exist? Is there an area of ability-enhancing spells (i.e. chop more trees per hour)? How about an area of magic that changes fame/noteriety/reputation among factions or species of things? Too bad there can't be one that will help me explain this post a bit better. unsure.gif

There is natural toughness that living beings have that protect against physical attacks like scales, thick fur, and hides. Is there a natural magical-toughness that beings exhibit as well? Sure, human skin is soft and pink, but maybe humans are excellent at withstanding age-modification spells (for example)... or more succeptable to certain types of spells like sense-altering ones.

Will there be spells that affect vast areas (weather-altering), or will all spells be limited to locality?

This is such a hugely broad category that I probably should have narrowed it down, but I wanted to get a few thoughts out there before bed. I'll catch you all tomorrow. I don't know... am I making enough sense here guys?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Areena
post Apr 30 2008, 09:14 PM
Post #2

PW Story Team

Group: PW Developer
Member No.: 48

i think ghedi was talking about making spells affect the weather. it wouldnt be on a global scale or anything but if you keep casting a bunch of fire spells the ambient temperature in the area would go up which could cause a t-storm or something. im a bit foggy on the details, but i know he def wants to make magic affect the weather

--------------------
Areena, citizen of Kemilnar
+Quote Post
Brotoi
post May 21 2008, 07:00 PM
Post #3

PW Story Team

Member No.: 1,123

I was in the middle of researching magic when I got busy with real-world stuff. If I can find a moment next week, I'll post links to all the threads in the archive related to magic.
+Quote Post
RicoSuave
post May 22 2008, 06:38 PM
Post #4

Master

Member No.: 585

biggrin.gif Yay! biggrin.gif
Thank you.
+Quote Post
Brotoi
post May 28 2008, 05:04 PM
Post #5

PW Story Team

Member No.: 1,123

So sorry! I haven't found time yet! :-( Soon!
+Quote Post
StaticGrazer
post Jul 14 2008, 02:54 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 112

QUOTE(RicoSuave @ May 1 2008, 02:42 AM) *

But what OTHER types of magic exist? Is there an area of ability-enhancing spells (i.e. chop more trees per hour)? How about an area of magic that changes fame/noteriety/reputation among factions or species of things? Too bad there can't be one that will help me explain this post a bit better. unsure.gif

Well lets look at some things rarely seen.

Smoke screen- Once cast, creates a thick cloud of smoke on an area or a person.

Wiley Moss- Cast at an enemies feet or ground, used to slow enemies, or mabye a bridge of some sort...or even a way to climb things?

Infest- "Tame" an enemy non-human mob into doing your bidding, with undying loyality ending in a horrific death.

How about books that temporarly increase X-Skill for X- Ammount of time, like a tale of Paul Bunyon would get loggers fired up to go get some trees? The same can be used for all other skills.

Mold Shadows- Creats a wall of black that is non-translucent, but is easily passible. Perfect for sneak attacks.

Form of..(Nearby object)- Take on qualities a nearby object temporarly making one harder to see. I am a sandwitch. 8)

Touch of Beer- Who wants boring milk, when everything is BEER!

Blinding Sight- Gazing upon an enemy will temporarly blind him. Mabye character with this spell needs one eye covered unless it's being used.

Feign Death- Fake your death, great for parties!

Illusion spells- Monsters, giant pies, old milk.

We'll start here.

--------------------
*dodges*
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:11 PM
Original skin by: b6gm6n | Conversion by: Chris Y
hardwired
  hardwired
hardwired hardwired
hardwired hardwired