Reply to this topicStart new topic
> a thought
Azgaroth
post Jan 11 2005, 02:31 AM
Post #1

Power User

Group: Members
Member No.: 14

hmm, our main goal is to get Wish back, right?

but what if it wont happen?

in another forum I and some other Wish fans are talking bout creating our own mmo.... what would you say bout that :?:

--------------------
// Azgaroth of the Refugees
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Jan 11 2005, 02:46 AM
Post #2

Unregistered

Well,

since I have been a Gamemaser for Ultima and am a dedicated passionate roleplayer ever since the glory of games like Ambermoon (Amiga 500) I would be the first to be willingly helping anyone with ideas and also traanslation issues, since I am a natural german speaker but however also do speak english properly.

In my opinion Wish was the very first MMORPG since the days of UO which did not aim at the newbie-mmorpg-player but instead at the veterans and those that quited their long-loved MMORPGs like EQ or UO for reasons of boredom after several years spent in that world.

However, I would never want to participate in any Action-RPG-like Everquest-clone with a hushy-flushy-everything-is-wonderful-world or any game that aims at beginners, since in my opinion there are already plenty of those and close to none for veterans or passionate roleplayers, especially not for those coming from a long tradition of pen-and-paper-RPGs.

If anyone dares to oppose the EQ-model again following the roots of UO but enhancing its conecpt I would be the first one willing to bring along tons of ideas.

However be assured - a MMORPG is a very very expensive thing at first and in contradiction to singleplayer games these games do not pay back within the first few weeks or months - it takes some time and it also takes a lot of work and a ton of live-support to keep it alive.

If this project should need any help - may it be this one here or the project wish, contact me via Email at

TheSinner@gmx.net

However do not contact me with ads, commercials or stuff like that and please include a subject-line to make things easier for everyone :)
+Quote Post
Bendal
post Jan 11 2005, 03:46 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 21

thesinner made a great observation. MMORPG's are not single player games, and cannot be paid out in a matter of months. I wonder why nobody has successfully taken a careful look at that at why can Thief pay itself off, and an a UO cannot. Why not craft a game that has a compelling reason to join, allows a detailed quest and world, and then once you are immersed in the world, the subscription allows the live content to continue? Seriously.. I paid within 5 dollars for Thief 3 as I paid for the Original UO, on top of the annual and semi annual cd's that UO issues, and the multiple account subscriptions.
If they still cannot make money, and don't pay for advertising, then somehow the server cost/ support cost are what is the killer, or their "lack of game". What makes Doom or any other single player game so popular, and fails so miserably with an on line game? Graphics, Nope, those in Wish were almost as good as in Thief? The feeling of "You are the key person in the world"... absolutely! The game play and missions? Yes. Was Wish trying to address those with live content, I believe so. Can it be done again, or improved upon? I am sure of it, and feel it will be coming in the 2005 or 2006 time. EQ and UO and WoW will quickly go the way of Star Wars Galaxies, and begin to dry up. Just an opinion, but wanted to suggest that the flat level up MMORPG is NOT what people really want, they accepted EQ and UO, and until something new comes along, they will happily sit there. Check out the opinion poll on what will you be playing. Most people will go back to where they were without WISH, but would have changed had it stayed around, or else they wouldn't have seen that poll.
+Quote Post
thesinner
post Jan 11 2005, 04:33 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 19

I have just written this email to Mutable.

"Dear Mutable Realms,

I am pretty sure you are receiving a lot of emails right now concerning the Wish project and its abort. However I am not sure if you know about the thousands of fans out there you already have - even now, even after cancelling the project.

This has one reason, one reason other companies will not be able to succeed but why you could and in my opinion also would - passion.

Out of every corner and from everyone I knew that was testing Wish like I did myself, everyone felt the heartblood you spent, the passion as roleplayers behind it and the sheer frustration you yourself are certainly carrying right now.

I myself have been a Gamemaster of Ultima Online and a roleplayer since the very days of Ambermoon (Amiga 500) and the golden pen-and-paper-era and when I first heard about Wish I was thinking "Ah just another try get a piece of the cake..". But after visiting your website, after reading the comments made on it and after seeing the idea behind it I felt something I haven't felt since my first days of Ultima - passion.

The passion to create a world that doesn't force you to "train for playing" levelling for some distant goal which only is another step to another goal which then will get you bored soon - but the idea to create a world which is alive, a world which makes you think of pen and paper roleplaying instead of a medieval counterstrike mod or a poor EQ-influenced world with all its bad habits like instancing, levelling and such.

I know I am not alone with this opinion, I know there are already thousands of players like me, veterans AND newbies, that do not want to spend their time following a stupid level-tree but really living an alter ego, an avatar, in another world. Players that cannot be satisfied by the likes of World of warcraft or Everquest 1/2, Lineage and all those other games.

You were the very first ones since Ultima Online that have put hope in our hearts that we might reach salvation from these idiotic concepts. You were the very first to reach again those roleplayers, those passionate gamers and those that truly carry on the tradition of pen-and-paper-roleplaying via the internet.

This is why I now change to "we".

We will not forget Wish, even if you cancel the project and we will not stop following this goal. I frankly admit it - we want you to continue, yes. But even if you cannot or simply will not - we would / we will.

Because roleplay can't die, it only gets revived at some healer like Mutable Realms *smiles*.

We still believe in you and your ideals because different from other MMORPGs it also were our ideals and our ideas. Until Wish we only could dream about a game to come restoring hope to your hearts. This is what you already have achieved. Something no other game since Meridian59 or Ultima online has achieved.

This is the main reason, this is the "why" you should consider continueing - the players already have you in their hearts.

And if you ever should need any ideas or help with translations english/german or german/english feel free to email me. I would be willing to help - from one roleplayer to another. "

In my opinion this includes the very reason why a game like Ultima Online is so ifferent from a game like Everquest - in UO (and especially in Wish which made this even more obvious) in contradiction to Everquest and the likes of it I never had the feeling I need to "level up" in order to be able to "play". It was a real fantasy world and I truly lived an alter ego within it, playing my own role which i carefully created - just like in an pen and paper roleplayinggame. Everquest and the likes of it always felt so "cold" to me giving me great graphics - but a gameplay where I asked myself "What could I do now..?" instead of "What do I WANT to do now?".

This is the big difference, this is why Wish felt "at home" for me and why it could attract me as a dedicated roleplayer - 5 years online, 10 years offline.

I don't care about graphics, sounds, blur-effects, level-ups an such. All I care about is the feeling in my heart, the feeling I call the "golden newbie feeling" where verything feels "right" "warm" and "golden". If a game cannot bring back this feeling like UO did bring it when I began with it then this game will not have me as a customer.

I will help anyone that tries to achieve this goal happily and I will put in all my efforts.

--------------------
It's hard to swallow the truth if you're choking on your pride.
+Quote Post
Blacksmile
post Jan 11 2005, 06:47 AM
Post #5

Power User

Member No.: 43

Sinner, i am absolutely with you in everything you ave said so far!
Let us help Mutable Realms (if they want so) to make Wish one of the few MMORPG's that deserve the RolePlaying - RP in their genre.

Azgaroth, yes i am with you on the idea of building our own MMOG, but only if as sinner stated it would work out as a MMORPG really making their players roleplaying. Not beeing another MMOG trying to make you think you are roleplaying, just because there are other players you will meet or team up with occasionally.
+Quote Post
Gil Gadal
post Jan 11 2005, 07:50 AM
Post #6

Familiar Face

Member No.: 41

Sinner, you speak such wise words.

I wish I would be able to put together such an email as you did...one that is not OMG WHY DID YOU CANCLE THE GAME! YOU GUYS SUCK! BRING BACK WISH! MUTABLEREALMS YOU GUYS ROCK WE WANT WISH!

Seriously there is no point in emails that will either be agressive towards MR for pulling out and why they did or just asking to bring back Wish.

MR had thier reasons what ever they were...it is emails such as you sent that will get them to understand that they truley have captured the hearts of many.

I am not an Old RPG'er...Only being 18 yrs old...my first RPG was Diablo. I know this is the part where I get hammered by everyone. While bored and awaiting the release of Diablo2 I stumbled on a game called Runescape. I know this game is very poor and does not have a huge fanbase in the 'real' mmo gammers, it is full on non RP'ers and 12 yr old kids...But for those that did take on the chr it was cool...but it wasn't about that to me...what that game was about was freedom...you had an open skill system...you could do anything...although there was a combat and in the end people found out you wanted to kill ppl you had to be a pure fighter...but before the days of this...there was the freedom...the feeling that you are actually in a fantasy world you are this character and you are living it. To me that was what it was all about...although being a very poor game with no real ecomony not many updates and very simple quests it lost its interest...but I played that for two yrs none the less becoming fairly addicted.

After that I wanted to play 'real' mmorpg's Still I haven't played many but games I have tested with a class system...there was just something missing...and that was the Freedom...you are forever bound to wield a sword or a staff...

Then I found Wish...read up on it and knew this was the game for me. I informed the guild that we had now found a game that would be where we call home...as we were choosing
-Wish
-WoW
-DE
-Pirates of the Burning Sea

it was out of these four...Wish was the clear choice.

I got in game and all my entire life gaming...ever since the captin comic and comander keen days ...none of it was as good as what I experianced in 4 days...I was hooked...and to wake up to the horrible announcement my heart shattered...I had fallen in love with this game. I spend a lot of my time Training my martial arts and working on my acting so i really had not much time for computer games just keeping the guild running and that was basically it...then I jump in...and with in those 4 days I spent online playing more then I have in total over the past 4 months!

Nothing was wrong with it...Even the PnC...I think again I would be one of the very small amount that actually was attracted to the game because of it. Not much of a WASD fan with RPG's it is to FPS for me...the only RPG I have really liked that was WASD was vampire and that was also out of my genre comfort zone...I guess a stary can get through everynow and then...but it did open my eyes a bit.

Wish wasn't just a game you played to be the best...Wish was a world where it didn't matter how good you were or what you were good at...Wish was a fantasy that I would go to when I needed to get away from life and take on my alter ego Gil Gadal...Most of all Wish...was Freedom.

I am 100% with you Sinner and what ever it takes...I will support MR if they decide to work on Wish once more...if not I will support and help where I can with PW in order to get that feeling of completeness back.

--------------------
Name: Gil Gadal
Guild: Leader of the Crimson Hell Knights
Site: www.chkforum.tk
Proud Ex-Wish beta 2.0 tester
Ganedan: WISH I was there...
Wish Project...Fight for the cause!
+Quote Post
Azgaroth
post Jan 11 2005, 10:06 AM
Post #7

Power User

Member No.: 14

Sinner, nice posts, but i did not ask for the plan of project wish, but what the crowd, the players, we were ready to do for the sake of good gaming... :wink:

--------------------
// Azgaroth of the Refugees
+Quote Post
thesinner
post Jan 11 2005, 02:41 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 19

No, this is not your original question. Your original question was about an own MMORPG-project if this projects aim could not be reached. This was what I was referring to in my first posting followed by a posting of me concerning the idea behind a MMORPG I would help with all my effort.

--------------------
It's hard to swallow the truth if you're choking on your pride.
+Quote Post
Vamyen
post Jun 8 2007, 10:02 AM
Post #9

Just some Jackass

Group: PW Admin
Member No.: 689

Noted.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 02:40 PM
Original skin by: b6gm6n | Conversion by: Chris Y
hardwired
  hardwired
hardwired hardwired
hardwired hardwired