Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Specific IDEAS from wish that we'd like to see implemented
Melanthe
post Jan 12 2005, 02:59 PM
Post #1

Master

Group: Members
Member No.: 133

Can we make a list of very specific aspects of Wish that seem worth keeping?

These are IDEAS which worked in Wish and could/should be part of the new project. (I say "ideas" because I mean concepts, not code-specific)

My list:

-An auction system
-Town citizenship birthright (with town chat and ability to change citizenship)
-Variety of natural resources used in different manners, with variable rarity and usage tied to skill (species of trees, plants, ore, etc.)
-Creative sense of geography and distance
-Random spawn of resource and mobs
-Highly customizable physical characteristics for PC's
-No instant transportation

Others?

--------------------
Melanthe/Possum
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
cixelsyD
post Jan 12 2005, 04:33 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 17

Rideable animals are a must. I miss my Pony!

--------------------
"Watching people race in Civics is like watching people race in minivans. Competition is there, but its anti-climactic, like watching two geriatrics playing golf. If you win, you still lose."
+Quote Post
Strangerr
post Jan 12 2005, 04:57 PM
Post #3

Power User

Member No.: 50

moving to "Ideas" forum :)

--------------------
You can lay on your back for hours and imagine clouds are various animals, but in the end they are just clouds...
+Quote Post
Melanthe
post Jan 12 2005, 06:50 PM
Post #4

Master

Member No.: 133

Newspaper, or other some sort of highly active public announcement service in game

Distribution of resources which demands that players participate in the economy by trade with one another, not just with npcs.

--------------------
Melanthe/Possum
+Quote Post
Belsteak
post Jan 13 2005, 10:34 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 233

1) pvp with reputation system like in baldur's gate for example...
(this can be pvp zone)

if a high level player (high skilled) pk low skilled players. He gets bad reputations points. Corpse camping,....

This will give him some difficulties :
- some malus when fighting other low skilled players (as offender, not as defender) (stackable)
- higher price in town
- bad reputation among gards of cities.

Actually the system should be think to avoid miss use of the system.

2) reputation system with mob.

3) system to flag mob as aggro / friendly,... When you meet a monster, a reference is put into your journal and you can flag it as you wish. Then when clicking on a mob, you can see it like you flaged it (for example aggro mob have their name in red,....)

4) when killing too much of one kind of mob. It disapear of the region and move to another one letting the place for some other mob...

5) migration of mobs

more to come

--------------------
Do you know Murphy ?
He is my best friend....
+Quote Post
Hanayo
post Jan 13 2005, 02:06 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 255

- guards telling you the way
- very strong mobs. (not easy to kill if you are alone)
- group management stuff
- linear instead of exponential increase of experience (flat curve)
- many skills and professions (could be more!)
+Quote Post
Apredox
post Jan 13 2005, 02:17 PM
Post #7

Familiar Face

Member No.: 12

terrain

--------------------
A signature.. what a great idea.. guess ill work on it!
+Quote Post
Lefty
post Jan 13 2005, 09:30 PM
Post #8

Familiar Face

Member No.: 127

Well I have some crazy non Wish Ideas and as far as I know not implemented in any mmorpg that I am aware of

I would like to see some twitch controls for combat, which are modified by skills. A player could set up Defence moves, Attack moves.

Also weapon and armor durability shouldn't be shown in %, but as a text message and probably a different graphics for an item.

Example durability graphics for items. New, slightly worn, greatly worn, destroyed.

So in combat a wooden shield would have a certain % durability on the server. For a wooden shield the durabilty would be a medium set number. Through battle as one parrys with the shield, durability is reduced for each block. The player sees the changes while in combat. He/she parrys a hit, wood flys, the shield takes on a new graphic till its destroyed in a shattering display of wood and splinters flying .

Also combat sound should be implemented. wep on shield = thunk soung, metal on metal= a ching sound.

What also would be nice would be critical hits and dismemberment. A bit gorry but heck it would such an adrenaline rush witha combat system like this.
+Quote Post
Lefty
post Jan 13 2005, 09:38 PM
Post #9

Familiar Face

Member No.: 127

As a side note cover and concealment (terrain types) should effect the hit /defence chance.
+Quote Post
Apredox
post Jan 14 2005, 02:03 AM
Post #10

Familiar Face

Member No.: 12

I really do want a theive/rogue feature put in. Thats what i allways normaly play on other games.

--------------------
A signature.. what a great idea.. guess ill work on it!
+Quote Post
katink
post Jan 14 2005, 06:33 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 60

The need to 'bodily' travel, taking time. So no portals to just any place in the world.

I think this concept is what makes a lot of what people really liked in Wish p�³ssible; even if on first site many might find it a drawback to a game.
It is a NEEDED feature to make the world a BIG world. A world where you can really travel to new surroundings, new people, new things to do. Where you can really explore to your hearts content. Where all kinds of 'jobs' can be made by players and prosper, that can only exist because of this concept (postmen/couriers; guides to travelers passing through; temporary job-chances that leave again when the person/group offering them leaves your part of the world again; traders-caravans; etc etc).

Another thing I really, really hope will stay in: the way Wish handled PvP and PvE next to each other. Please, please don't mess this up; you will lose half your potential players either way if you change things in this concept to more one way or more the other way.

And also very important: the factions/guilds concept. Keep the balance between playerguilds, town-/npc-driven guilds, the different orders. Don't make all or too many things completely player-driven. As I concieved it, the way Wish was going was to create a balance between these different things, in which it would not be easy or even possible for any player or playergroup ever to be able to make all other players play their way or not at all (or cause 'not-conceding' players nothing but misery once a 'player-dictatorship' of any kind had established itself). It's happened before, in many games and in many ways; and Wish was trying to keep that possibility out. Very important for the long run!
+Quote Post
Frith-Rae
post Jan 14 2005, 09:33 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 132

1 - A dragon or Dragonesque racial option

--------------------
Frith-Rae BridgeSol
DragonLady Royale
Proud Officer of Keir Chet K'Eilerten - Horizons
+Quote Post
Strangerr
post Jan 15 2005, 10:18 AM
Post #13

Power User

setting the ressurection points to each town is a bad idea cause players will exploit the death as a fast way of traveling , unless there will be some bad death penalty which would make more players angry :)

--------------------
You can lay on your back for hours and imagine clouds are various animals, but in the end they are just clouds...
+Quote Post
Hankellin
post Jan 15 2005, 10:21 AM
Post #14

Veteran

Member No.: 72

I did that to an extent in WISH. But was a little irritated when I died just outside the town I wanted to get to and was ressurected back where I started. LOL

--------------------
+Quote Post
bezerker
post Jan 15 2005, 02:13 PM
Post #15

Familiar Face

Member No.: 365

I guess some sort of penalty should be a good idea to curb this death = free teleport to town.

How about this one, upon reaching said town u want to go to ... u'd have to get into a temple of some sort and set your resurrection point there.

If let's say by sheer chance you forgot to set the resurrection point to a nearby town, the next death will cause you to be transported back to your point of origin BEFORE you got to your hunting spot.

Ideally the default resurrection stone would be at your birth place, in my case it'll be Southdowns, it's one hell of a walk from southdowns to glitterseam with the mobs along way.

I should know. I died twice on the way to glitterseam just to join a group of people clearing up the mines of dwarven skeletons :D :P

--------------------
By courage I repel adversity.
(Adversa Virtute Repello)
~Anonymous~
+Quote Post
pearle
post Jan 15 2005, 02:51 PM
Post #16

Familiar Face

Member No.: 159

How about this one, upon reaching said town u want to go to ... u'd have to get into a temple of some sort and set your resurrection point there.

I like the idea of having to 'bind' at a temple or priest. I was never big on the idea of spawning back at some mysterious object or portal that has no real in-game explanation. These temples would not necessarily have to be in towns but towns would probably the most common ocation.

Wish had a decent death penalty system, IMO. However, what about the idea of having a gold debt you had to pay back? Other games have experience debt and what not, which I find a little odd. What if when you auto ressurrected after death you had an option to pay for your ressurection immediately (let's assume it's a spell that costs money to cast due to reagent cost, for example) or the option of acquiring debt. A percentage of money earned would be paid towards the debt until it was paid off.
+Quote Post
Troodon
post Jan 15 2005, 04:46 PM
Post #17

Familiar Face

Member No.: 235

Concepts/ideas I'd like to see in a mmorpg:

Good communication between the developers and the players. Its something easy to manage when your player base is just a few hundred core fans. Much harder to achieve when the game goes live and the numbers increase.
A game where ebay isnt the ultimate provider of all items. Though impossible to completely prevent, it needs to be clear from the outset that all in game property is the property of PW. Any item discovered to have been sold outside the game world will simply be deleted and the parties involved reprimanded.
A game that is fair. Cheaters/deliberate exploiters are dealt firmly and promptly. There seems to be an odd myth among some mmorpg companies, that they somehow wont loose honest players disgusted that their investment of time is devalued by those that exploit and get away with it.
A single server - thus ongoing development/story attention isn't focused on players from one geographic region, while players from other regions are relegated to third party management.
A world in which players can make a difference. Though the story is directed by the developers, the in/actions and choices of the players shape how things turn out and has real consequences. A Pen and Paper Campaign feel to events each of which is unique, rather than cookie cutter vending machine quests. Though direct conflict between groups of players is limited to PvP areas, quests in which its possible to have players working with conflicting aims at the same time.
A strong background. A believable world with enough information about the individual races to allow the players to base their roleplaying off, and offering a cue to encourage roleplaying. Though many of the races may be from the typical Tokienesq stable: a unique slant on them, or at least enough uniqueness to make them distinct from other online games. Preferably a good helping of new and unique races. If you want a PnP example of this consider the distinct races of Earthdawn.
A draconic/dragonkin/dragon/etc like player race. Just a personal predilection
A real world economy, with trade of goods and services prompted by a variation in resources and their relative availably. Thus opening the way for local markets and trade between them. Implicit in this is the lack of instantaneous travel.
A skill system where players are not limited by early choices/mistakes, and are free to continue to develop their characters later on. However to stop experienced characters becoming a homogenous mass, a system with a player purchases a limited number of abilities. Thus allowing characters to develop, to be tailored to the desires of a player yet be distinct. i.e. what Wish used.
A complex and interrelated web of crafts. Though as we saw in Wish this can make things a bit awkward while the economy gets going and again unlike Wish demonstrated needs a lot of good in game support. Thus experienced crafters cant be one man factories churning out an endless supply of items and effectively preventing newbie crafters from entering the market.
An involving combat system, that's more than just "whack-a-mole". Realism in combat isn't particularly something that would turn out to be fun, but something that engages the player a bit more than just hitting buttons whenever they become available. Conversely a combat system that is forgiving of players with poor connections.
Consensual PvP: be it duels, arenas or entire regions which upon entering a player accepts PvP. But PvP should never be forced upon anyone, a player should not be disadvantaged by not taking part in PvP. The challenge PvP is a reward unto itself for its participants, however it also opens up the possibility of more interesting Live Content for those willing to take a risk: where opposing groups of players can have opposing objectives.
A reputation/kama system. Each region/town/group is a faction. Through a players actions they can gain/loose kama with that faction which can have repercussions.
E.g. A player thief kills a npc guard escaping from a raid on a warehouse owned by a particular guild within a town. For completing the raid he gains +kama with the bandit group that sent him, however he games -kama with the guild and -kama with the Town. The result is that the bandits now trusts him more/is now willing to offer services etc; without hard evidence the "Town" considers him a shady character and honest merchants are less willing to be seen doing business with him i.e. charge more; the Guild considers him a foe and may even offer a reward to other players to bring him to justice.
An interface designed by someone with at least passing acquaintance of the themes of HCI theory. Interfaces are really hard to get right, but they really are worth the effort.
Strong in game help - beyond tool tips, I want to be able to consult context sensitive help directly from the window etc where I need it.
Newspapers/bards/town criers. Some way to help foster player community, a means ensure that as many players can learn of and get involved with events as possible and that event aren't monopolised by a clued up clique.

--------------------
Feed me Seymour!
+Quote Post
Ashy
post Jan 15 2005, 05:53 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 30

Point and Click movement with excelent path finding :)

--------------------
Hail all ye from HarborView :D
+Quote Post
Strangerr
post Jan 15 2005, 07:11 PM
Post #19

Power User

I like the idea of the Gold Debt pearle suggested , this would be a nice and fresh death penalty system , but what about long term players that have so much gold that they can pay the resurrection fee without even noticing the gold loss ?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Hankellin
post Jan 15 2005, 07:16 PM
Post #20

Veteran

Member No.: 72

Could it be worked to be a percentage of your current funds?

--------------------
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:51 AM
Original skin by: b6gm6n | Conversion by: Chris Y
hardwired
  hardwired
hardwired hardwired
hardwired hardwired