Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Off to a bad start
Mole
post Jan 12 2005, 12:13 AM
Post #1

PW Consultant

Group: PW Developer
Member No.: 97

I hate to be a naysayer, but I think this little project of ours if getting off on the wrong foot. We?re already starting the make the classic mistake of wanting too much too soon. If we want this project to succeed, then we need change some things.

Here is it, essentially day one, and we?re already deciding on what server software to use, some people are even pricing out hardware, and some people are even arguing over how many people to allow in the alpha and beta phases. Slow down! If we keep up at this pace, this train is going to derail long before it even leaves the station let alone arrives at one.

First off, we need to decide if we want to give this project even the smallest chance for success. If we don?t want it to succeed and we just want to pretend to do this then let?s all just carry on doing what we?re doing.

If we want to see our goals realized and actually design an opensource UMMORPG, then we need to go about this the right way. We need to define our goals and objectives, our scope, vision, mission, and strategy (not necessarily in the order listed).

Once we have these things, then we can start to define our game world (at a high level) and all that it will encompass. This is going to show us what we want in our game and what we don?t want. This is where we will argue things like PnC vs WASD and other topics like that. This is going to get ugly. But we?ll eventually work through all of this and we?ll be better off for it. Notice that I haven?t even started to talk about what spells the so-and-so class will have yet. (That comes later!)

Armed with the above things, we should then be in a good position to determine how we are going to develop this game of ours. Since we?ll know exactly what we want (at least at a high level) we?ll be able to effectively determine our plan of attack.

When we know how we?ll go about solving our problems, then we?ll start development and we?ll start fleshing out things that will be in-game.

It should be noted here that I haven?t begun to talk about deliverables, ARs, and how we are going to track progress. That will come later as well.

This is going to be a long process. Those of you who are in this for the short-term investment are going to be disappointed. Those of you who are in this for the long haul need to stick around and make yourselves comfortable. The ?average? development cycle for a MMORPG by professionals (people who do this for a living) is 3 years. MR had already been going at Wish for 3 years, and they weren?t done; granted they developed some middleware along the way, so that slowed them down some.

Some of the things that we need to do can be done here in the forums, while other things are best done in a weekly meeting of some sort.

Do people think I sound like I know what I?m talking about, or do you all think I?m full of bunk? I want to hear your opinions on what *you* think we should do and about how *you* think we should go about doing this. I don?t want this thread to be used to discuss ideas for the game. I just want us to talk about how we should approach this.

--------------------
Co-Founder & Consultant
Project Wish
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
DeadPaladin
post Jan 12 2005, 12:36 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 122

very good post. i agree completely and that we have to be realistic or else ppl are going to be leaving left and right because we havent been getting anything done.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Mole   Off to a bad start   Jan 12 2005, 12:13 AM
Mole   The original intent of this thread was to get ever...   Jan 13 2005, 03:25 PM
Blacksmile   AS doxygen has been called by name already i wanna...   Jan 13 2005, 10:04 AM
pearle   I know of doxygen but not have used it. I do know ...   Jan 12 2005, 07:10 PM
Valkyrie   Anyone of you knows doxygen? It is very useful fo...   Jan 12 2005, 06:58 PM
Strangerr   a very good post Mole and I agree with you , we ne...   Jan 12 2005, 05:05 PM
Mole   I have a lot of experience in leading very large p...   Jan 12 2005, 04:48 PM
pearle   I agree with documenting and thoroughly designing ...   Jan 12 2005, 04:03 PM
Cobra   ^ Very good point. Regards, Cobra   Jan 12 2005, 03:54 PM
KevinMc   I think, to start, that there are two seperate but...   Jan 12 2005, 03:44 PM
Blacksmile   I agree we cannot yet go into to much details, but...   Jan 12 2005, 02:17 PM
Hamilton   All good ideas and here are a couple to toss in my...   Jan 12 2005, 11:17 AM
katink   Good post Mole. Agree all the way. Except: it is i...   Jan 12 2005, 10:20 AM
draxshared   Good post. Professional. Sadly I have nothing to...   Jan 12 2005, 08:43 AM
andrantos   I totally agree Mole. It was kind of frustrating ...   Jan 12 2005, 08:13 AM
Cobra   Check out my post for the list! Sign up if you can...   Jan 12 2005, 07:43 AM
faithless   Kill the naysayer! Kill the traitor! :lol: :wink...   Jan 12 2005, 07:22 AM
Foresteer   "You may sayyyy i'm a dreamer! but i...   Jan 12 2005, 06:43 AM
Matto   There must be a bit of "Dreamer" in all ...   Jan 12 2005, 06:35 AM
Azgaroth   i like the sound of that post, and i dont have any...   Jan 12 2005, 06:33 AM
Matto   Good point mole, one I agree with whole heartedly....   Jan 12 2005, 06:29 AM
Foresteer   Also we must advertize but in the right places (li...   Jan 12 2005, 06:24 AM
Cobra   Very good post, i agree completely. Regar...   Jan 12 2005, 05:17 AM
Marku   just for alittle cash on the side maybe we should ...   Jan 12 2005, 04:22 AM
Hankellin   I agree that this will take quite some time to com...   Jan 12 2005, 04:20 AM
Marku   When i came here i knew that for this to suceed we...   Jan 12 2005, 03:58 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 10:36 PM
Original skin by: b6gm6n | Conversion by: Chris Y
hardwired
  hardwired
hardwired hardwired
hardwired hardwired