Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wanted to share this with you guys...
Shaidar
post Jul 7 2005, 12:02 PM
Post #1

Veteran

Group: Members
Member No.: 528

In all the fantasy genre games there are always set races and monsters that you can expect to see. I think that it may be time to add a little spice to the mix. Who says we can't change the way people view a fantasy world?

Anyway, sitting here at work and trying to imagine the race of people I picture in my head I have decided to share it with all of you. I am going to write a bit of how I imagine their history all the way to how I picture them current day, bare with me, its long but I think its an interesting idea.

The Daevans:

It was before the written word recorded time itself, the people of Daevan didn?t need writing they had powerful magic and lore to contain all their knowledge. The city was massive well built structures with no sign of independent bricks or boards, the structures were formed from something unknown in the world today. The people stood tall on the streets of their great city, none were hungry or homeless, and currency had no place here. The teachers of the city had risen to the top of the social classes and became the leaders of the nation, teaching all they knew to their students. The children of Daevan absorbed the knowledge and memorized it flawlessly. The outside world was the only thing that the Daevans had none or little knowledge of, for they never had a need to leave the comforts of their nation. The world outside however had knowledge of them and envied the paradise they had achieved.

On that great day, the last day of Daevan, a great force of men approached the walls of Daevan and demanded an audience with the lord of the nation. Astonished the people of Daevan looked on as a small group of the dirty men, with odd metal tools hanging at their hips and dull metallic coats covering their bodies, were lead to the great university.

As the men entered the university they were greeted by men and women dressed in pure white robes, with sashes of silver and gold hanging loosely about them. The men glistened with envy as they sat around the large round table with a great display in the center. As all the men settled in their places, the white robed audience went and stood silently around the edges of the great chamber. From the far side of the chamber, a great door swung open to admit a tall slender man with long black hair, graying at the temples. He wore a long white robe with a train flowing behind. Across his chest was a deep purple sash embroidered with gold, the man?s appearance spoke of honor and wisdom.

The men immediately started bombarding the stranger with questions and demands. The stranger sat patiently as the men rambled on, absorbing all they said with eloquence, finally the men stopped to listen to the stranger. The stranger first introduced himself as, Shaigon, the great scholar of Daevan. After conferring with the men and answering their questions, Shaigon offered to share the great knowledge of Daevan. The men gleamed with delight as Shaigon entered the circle around the display. As he began to explain the incantations and elements involved with the accessing the knowledge the men grew dumbfounded. Shaigon seeing that these men lacked even the essential connection with the elements attempted to help them gain knowledge of the arcane.

The teaching went for weeks, the men outside the wall had set up a massive camp and a stench drifted in over the city. As the men emerged from the city of Daevan they were pleased with what they had learned, men had gained access to the power of the elements. The leaders of the men each gathered their troops and returned to their nations of origin. The people of Daevan resumed their normal activities and over the years started to forget the troubles of the outside world once again.

Unknown to the Daevans the men of the nations left and with greed in their hearts started to try and conquer each other with their new found knowledge. Nations were destroyed and the men grew desperate to destroy one another. After a time their attention turned back on Daevan. As one of the great armies of men marched on Daevan the scholars began to study into the roots of evil to learn why these men were so malicious with the gifts that had provided utopia to Daevan for so long. Creating a shield the Daevans held off the attackers, but the men went on with their efforts. For weeks, the men continued to attack the shield, while the scholars studied. On that final day of the war, the great scholar Shaigon took it upon himself to lead the people to what must be done. Shaigon had all the heads of all the schools of Daevan gather in the university. For hours, they discussed what must be done. Shaigon made the final statement that the world could not handle a Daevan in its current state. Daevan must be removed. With that the scholars fell silent but over time they all came to agree, and so they many great minds of Daevan gathered and wrote a new spell that would solve the problem of the world.

The scholars began their incantation and the shield around the great city solidified as the earth around the city began to shake. The great army of men was swallowed and destroyed, but then the great city of Daevan also sunk beneath the shaking earth, buried for all time. The study of evil left something in the city of Daevan and even as it sank the dwellers of the city began to feel something new, something dark, hate for the humans of the outside world.

Over time the Daevans became corrupted but the studies that lead them to save the world. The city lost the light that gave it its purity. Pitch blackness enveloped the Daevans as the new rage took control of their ambitions. The darkness changed them to a stretched pale race with eyes that became merely ornamental, the irises light blue to white. They were a blind people, but the magic of their forefathers gave them sight in many more ways than eyes ever could, they could see the very soul of a person if they looked hard enough.

On the surface the rest of the great nations of the day fell, defeated by their own selfish ambitions, and out of the ruins came new cities led by great heroes of men that had learned to control the elements with virtue.

The world continued, people became corrupt and nations failed but men as a whole kept their strength. Once the written word appeared the time before became legend and the earliest of all memories was soon forgotten in the depths of time.

How I see the Daevans:

I think of them as very tall, say 6?6? to 7?, but I see them as appearing stretched and very pale a silvery white. They don?t usually open their eyes all the way but when they do you can see that their irises are very pale, and their eyes are clouded. They are blind in the way of eyesight, instead they use magic means to see and they can instill fear and other feelings with their glance. When they start to appear on the surface we might see them in deep black robes with cowls well down over their faces. The tools of the modern world would be strange to them; they would do most all their chores by some sort of magical means. Many of them are very interested in gaining knowledge including how to use the weapons and tools of the world. They are very skilled learners, and their hate drives them. Though there may be some that have remained untouched by the corruption. I couldn?t imagine such a pure people becoming completely corrupted, but this is something to be manipulated around the story of the world.

--------------------

World Concept Team Member
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
StaticGrazerr
post Jul 7 2005, 12:25 PM
Post #2

Veteran

Member No.: 475

Interesting, a race of magic hungry people who like the modern world but have no clue how they work. Like Sr citizens and computers, I like it!

--------------------
May you have the hindsight to see where you've been, the foresight to see where you're going, and the insight to know when you've gone to far.
+Quote Post
xardy
post Jul 8 2005, 09:20 AM
Post #3

Seasoned User

Member No.: 527

i agree that we should have more then just the standard : human, orc , elf , gnome , dwarve races. Sure you can include them but ad some new races that have never been used or aren't used often. Design them yourself :). Perhaps some mixture between humans and dragons or some other reptile...
+Quote Post
emeraven
post Jul 10 2005, 04:40 PM
Post #4

Long Winded

Member No.: 8

Very interesting, have you applied ;)

--------------------
No longer on the project.
+Quote Post
StaticGrazerr
post Jul 10 2005, 06:36 PM
Post #5

Veteran

Member No.: 475

You know, I have a friend who draws a more, furry kind of humanoids.

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/17816248/

Here's a link to her Deviant Account and to one of her picts. She's a busy girl now a days; working on her own web comic and all. But I'm sure if we were all really nice we could get her to help us out some. ^,^

--------------------
May you have the hindsight to see where you've been, the foresight to see where you're going, and the insight to know when you've gone to far.
+Quote Post
Vamyen
post Jun 14 2007, 01:28 AM
Post #6

Just some Jackass

Group: PW Admin
Member No.: 689

Idea added for consideration.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:24 AM
Original skin by: b6gm6n | Conversion by: Chris Y
hardwired
  hardwired
hardwired hardwired
hardwired hardwired