Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Another Kind of Fame, Courtesy towards NPCs Fame Modifier
Honis
post Feb 7 2008, 01:05 PM
Post #1

Veteran

Group: PW Developer
Member No.: 539

I was running up to some NPC today and I realized I throw all of my manners away when I "talk" to them. I just ran up in range to activate him, not caring which way I was facing. I could have been standing close enough to lick spinach out of his teeth and he wouldn't have cared.

So the idea is you have a courtesy number for each NPC. Pluses for doing things right according to that NPCs culture! Culture based because staring at someone as they talk is ok in America, but rude in Japan. American personal bubbles are larger than say a person from Spanish origins. I could go on for awhile.

In game it would most likely be easiest to base it on 3 things, Facing, Distance to NPC, and Use of Know Emotes.

Facing:
If the culture thinks its rude to look at the speaker the player needs to face away a little (maybe turned all the way around in extreme cases).

Distance:
I'd think this would only matter for being really close. Anything that is rude in terms of to far away should probably be out of activation range.

Use of Known Emotes:
Known emotes are the ones build into the game (smile, dance, etc). You could increase your Coutesy towards some females by smiling at them as you pass, or smiling before activating dialog. But if for example you smile at the burlly Black Smith to much he starts to dislike you...

The basic Setup:
What the coutesy counter could modify is your Fame. If you have Fame 5, but are rude to X NPC, you're actually only fame 3 with X NPC. Which would lead you to an inability to get quests or other information out of them. If you've been kind to an NPC, then you could have Fame 2 and come out as Fame 5 to this NPC. If this could be tied into NPC sale price range somehow that would be good too. (This example is based on the FFXI Fame system.)

Game Mechanics:
Obviously, if you are allowed to stand in just the right spot and facing, PCs will stand there and spam the NPC until they have as much Courtesy Fame as they need. I'm thinking of a good block for this exploit.
Some things I'm thinking:
Modifier cap, Make the modifier half of one Fame level +/-
Very Gradual Skill-Up, Make it such a slow incline to get modifier levels, its worth your time paying attention to, but not standing in place for days activating NPC
Time based increase windows,

Post up other exploits and/or fixes, ideas for other things this could be based on, or other ideas this may bring up.

Ooops thought I was being original:
http://www.projectwish.com/index.php?showt...08&hl=karma
More closely related to mine: http://www.projectwish.com/index.php?showtopic=5686

--------------------
IPB Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Brotoi
post Feb 7 2008, 10:26 PM
Post #2

PW Story Team

Member No.: 1,123

The one problem I see right from the start is character movement and internet latency. My home network is a Buffalo wireless system, which adds a tiny but noticeable amount of latency in addition to the normal ping. It does not take much for my characters to start having problems with rubber-banding, especially in crowded public areas. If movement and placement become critical to earning Fame with an important NPC, that part of the game would quickly become inaccessible to me, no matter how hard I tried.

Not meaning to downplay the idea, mind you. Just adding a thought.
+Quote Post
mortideus
post Feb 7 2008, 10:30 PM
Post #3

PW Founder

Member No.: 5

QUOTE(Brotoi @ Feb 7 2008, 11:26 PM) *

The one problem I see right from the start is character movement and internet latency. My home network is a Buffalo wireless system, which adds a tiny but noticeable amount of latency in addition to the normal ping. It does not take much for my characters to start having problems with rubber-banding, especially in crowded public areas. If movement and placement become critical to earning Fame with an important NPC, that part of the game would quickly become inaccessible to me, no matter how hard I tried.

Not meaning to downplay the idea, mind you. Just adding a thought.

It won't be handled server side most likely. Some things that could be affected by latency can be handled client side, then sent to the server.

--------------------
Mortideus
Founder/*Old* Project Wish Leader
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th April 2024 - 10:22 PM
Original skin by: b6gm6n | Conversion by: Chris Y
hardwired
  hardwired
hardwired hardwired
hardwired hardwired