joshpurple
post Sep 24 2006, 04:44 PM
Post #1

PW Artist

Group: PW Developer
Member No.: 613

Edit:

NOTE:

This is a work in progress, VERY DRAFT. Just draft tests on the Alpha release. NOT a final shot by any means.

--------------------------------

Mistake corrected, -see Jerky's notes below. Thanks.

--------------------
IPB Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
joshpurple
post Sep 25 2006, 05:33 PM
Post #2

PW Artist

Group: PW Developer
Member No.: 613

Here's my little attempt at some 'How To's' with DWARF smile.gif .

NOTE: These are DRAFT works. Just the current scene I've been using to work with the DWARF release. Very UNOFFICIAL, and all corrections are welcomed.

Start > open up DWARF after installing it ( I selected 'Full Screen' & DirectX on install for the workspace ) screen looks like this:

IPB Image

Large version here

You don't get the little red wizard tongue.gif , but he's here filling in for the Red Arrow.

You want to select that File tab > and then Open...

IPB Image

Large version here

A Load Menu will open > I selected "Dwarf_sample.dwarf"

IPB Image

Large version here

Then select Open > my scene looks like this,

IPB Image

Large version here

Hit F10 > the cursor disappears, and now using the mouse (no clicking needed) rotate the view down so you can see the terrain > Any objects in the scene will (currently) appear very, very small. The below pic shows the scene after I have rotated the mouse down, & the wizard's circle is around a centaur mesh I have in,

IPB Image

Large version here

Keeping the mouse pointed at the Terrain > hold down the ' W ' key, you will begin to slowly move at the ground > Tap the Shift key as you hold down the ' W ' key & you will move faster. Tap the Shift key again, and the speed will increase again. To move around in the Editor (since you have hit F10 key ) you can use the AWSD keys & the mouse rotation. After I move in closer to my centaur mesh, it looks like this;

IPB Image

Large version here

You might not have any mesh in your scene yet, or you might see some grass, or trees, etc. The PW Team has already included objects & terrain items for you to work with from the Resource Browser. The Centaur mesh is just more draft development work in progress.

Get comfortable moving around in the Editor, this can take a little time to get comfortable with. As long as you have selected F10, you will be able to move about. When you hit F9, you exit that viewing mode.

I move in on my Centaur mesh, and get in front of him, looking down;

IPB Image

Large version here

Those little white blocks are his bones, heh, heh. Ignore them. Now to add an item from the Resource Browser > select F9 , this takes you out of the movement mode > select an item from the list;

IPB Image

Large version here

Then select 'Add to World,'

IPB Image

Large version here

An "Object Edit" window will open > now move your cursor onto the scene, where you want your object to be created;

IPB Image

Large version here

See next post, I hit the image max per post, pardon smile.gif .

--------------------
IPB Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
joshpurple   First Attempt Screen Shot   Sep 24 2006, 04:44 PM
Jerky   See other thread in Art. Should dump to Dwarf Alp...   Sep 24 2006, 04:49 PM
joshpurple   Thank You Jerky, will do! :) Edit: Indeed...   Sep 24 2006, 04:50 PM
Yellow   great looking centaur! amazing work. The propo...   Sep 24 2006, 05:59 PM
Jerky   Yeah, just in case anyone compares their screensho...   Sep 25 2006, 11:22 AM
joshpurple   You totally nailed it! :) And the manual t...   Sep 25 2006, 11:47 AM
RicoSuave   Compare myself to JP's ability!? NO THANK ...   Sep 25 2006, 01:26 PM
Pandra   He is awesome <3 And I have no clue what I...   Sep 25 2006, 02:57 PM
joshpurple   You all are the BEST! :D *Blush!* Tha...   Sep 25 2006, 03:38 PM
Yellow   Really... its the easiest interface for a worldb...   Sep 25 2006, 06:25 PM
joshpurple   Cont. Now when you click in your scene, that item...   Sep 25 2006, 05:33 PM
Jerky   Fantastic tutorial Josh! I love it.   Sep 25 2006, 06:36 PM
Pandra   Thank you Josh. I had looked at the manual, and le...   Sep 25 2006, 07:38 PM
joshpurple   Cool! :D Thanks! Glad you all like it. ...   Sep 25 2006, 07:44 PM
Pandra   Will you have my babies Josh? *evil grin* You so...   Sep 25 2006, 07:59 PM
joshpurple   :lol: :lol: Sure! Put them in a stew ...   Sep 25 2006, 08:05 PM
njpaul   I think its worth noting that the interface is rea...   Sep 25 2006, 11:34 PM
joshpurple   Yes! Thank You Njpaul! Excellent! An...   Sep 25 2006, 11:57 PM
Yellow   atm you wouldnt be able to walk on it, but you c...   Sep 26 2006, 04:57 AM
Pandra   ok how do your rotate something? 'cause I trie...   Sep 26 2006, 02:30 AM
joshpurple   Thanks Yellow! Much appreciated :) .   Sep 26 2006, 08:37 AM
joshpurple   Doing more with DWARF :) , and here's been my ...   Oct 5 2006, 01:45 PM
Brotoi   Wellllll, I downloaded DWARF, installed, figured o...   Dec 9 2007, 03:03 AM
Cobra   Its been some time since I used dwarf. You need t...   Dec 9 2007, 11:30 AM
Windragon   The hole idea seems interesting, mainly for dungeo...   Sep 5 2008, 05:05 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 06:32 AM
Original skin by: b6gm6n | Conversion by: Chris Y
hardwired
  hardwired
hardwired hardwired
hardwired hardwired