Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Define your race, Everyone has one race they adore
Pandra
post Sep 23 2006, 01:13 AM
Post #1

Wisdom

Group: Members
Member No.: 640

So Josh and other's are poking me to do more art, and I'm working on stuff. I don't however want to be "that girl that draws pixies all the time." So I figured I'd get people to tell me what their favorite race(s) are and give me their point of view on them, and then see if I can't draw something that will match your description.

Example, Jaramar I'm sure will say Gnomes, I rather adore gnomes myself. I'd want his idea on what they should look like physcially. Links to other people's art work are acceptable. His views on their society, culture, inventions... but I don't really have to ask him for that since he's got a thread for gnomes already <3... well maybe get him to define the physcial descriptors alittle more. And if there's something you're strongly aginst your race having, like peircings or tatoo's tell me why.

Physical discriptions should include not just height, hair colors, eye colors, skin colors, ect. But traditional clothing styles and hair styles, accessories like pouches, books, quills, tools, ect. Weapons and armor are acceptable only if you have a good reason for why your race would always and forever be wearing armor and toteing a weapon around. Most people, even in the good eld days gone yore didn't walk around in armor all the time. It's hot and heavy and frequently itchy.

I promise you won't poor me. Just try to use good sentence and paragraph spacing. Big blocks of text, while irritating for other people are acctually very difficult for me to read. I am dyslexic and after a certain point everything kinda goes wonky. Spaceing helps keep everything deciphrable. Ok, now wow me <3

--------------------
IPB Image
~by Honis

Kain:: I liberated myself a copy of MS Office 2007 today.
Pandra:: Liberated??
Kain:: With my charm.
Pandra:: Does that mean you slept with someone to obtain softwear?
Kain:: >.>;
Pandra:: You're officially a program geek.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
joshpurple
post Sep 23 2006, 02:33 AM
Post #2

PW Artist

Group: PW Developer
Member No.: 613

Goblins! Of course! biggrin.gif . Har, har, har!

Very cool, I like the idea & hope you get lots of input. And, I know you dig all kinds of mythology, -don't deny it! smile.gif

I've always enjoyed goblins, -they are the Id. Of what you should not do, goblins do. I think they are in almost every culture in one form or another. They can mean, 'break wind' to minor devil. To me they mean, free spirit. And, in-games, they are always the underdog -unless they unite and go hordy/zergy nuts. A balance to the hobbits, dwarves, and gnomes (which I LUV), I imagine goblins appearing in many, many forms.

My personal goblin, Gassy, is more of a gnome trapped inside a goblin's IQ and Id like drive. Or pixie maybe ( I do DIG pixies too! smile.gif ). A stinky, dirty, rotten goblin, who really is of no threat & absolutely loves to join in on anything, -Kermit the Frog gone wrong. Well, more like Kermit the bipedal pig (2' tall).

Here's Gassy's page; Gassy the Goblin , but Gassy is a dynamic character and goes through changes all the time. Like, he's fatter, shorter, and purple now. And... he has a different mount smile.gif .

The goblins from the film Labyrinth are fun, here's a pick from one of my ALL TIME FAV artists, and great gobbies ( I think Labyrinth based their gobbies on this artist);
IPB Image

The term goblin can refer simply to the uglier members of faerie, or to certain specific local sub-races. The family of goblins includes boggarts, bogles, bogies, knockers, kobolds, wichtlein and other faeries who usually live in underground areas. Many goblins are ill-behaved towards humans, causing mischief, breaking things, switching human babies with changlings, causing insects to plague men and animals, and other such activities. Many of the mining goblins like knockers, coblynau, and wichtlein are less malicious. They spend their time imitating the mining activities of men, though they do not actually extract any precious metals or gems. Kobolds can be a nuisance if their tunnels are invaded by human miners, and will throw rocks at any intruders.
Goblins are often portaged as the villans and troublemakers of faerie, and are most on prominent on Samhein (Halloween):

In that thrice hallow'd Eve abroad,
When Ghosts, as Cottage-Maids believe,
Their pebbled Beds permitted leave,
And Goblins haunt from Fire or Fen,
Or Mine, or Flood, the walks of Men!

Many of the tricksters of faerie are goblins.

Go Go Goblins!

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
StaticGrazerr
post Sep 23 2006, 08:23 AM
Post #3

Veteran

Member No.: 475

QUOTE(Pandra @ Sep 22 2006, 07:13 PM)
So Josh and other's are poking me to do more art, and I'm working on stuff. I don't however want to be "that girl that draws pixies all the time." So I figured I'd get people to tell me what their favorite race(s) are and give me their point of view on them, and then see if I can't draw something that will match your description.

Example, Jaramar I'm sure will say Gnomes, I rather adore gnomes myself. I'd want his idea on what they should look like physcially. Links to other people's art work are acceptable. His views on their society, culture, inventions... but I don't really have to ask him for that since he's got a thread for gnomes already <3... well maybe get him to define the physcial descriptors alittle more. And if there's something you're strongly aginst your race having, like peircings or tatoo's tell me why.

Physical discriptions should include not just height, hair colors, eye colors, skin colors, ect. But traditional clothing styles and hair styles, accessories like pouches, books, quills, tools, ect. Weapons and armor are acceptable only if you have a good reason for why your race would always and forever be wearing armor and toteing a weapon around. Most people, even in the good eld days gone yore didn't walk around in armor all the time. It's hot and heavy and frequently itchy.

I promise you won't poor me. Just try to use good sentence and paragraph spacing. Big blocks of text, while irritating for other people are acctually very difficult for me to read. I am dyslexic and after a certain point everything kinda goes wonky. Spaceing helps keep everything deciphrable. Ok, now wow me <3

So I thought this would be a good time to bring up, CENTUARS. I was fishing around the google and my favorite place to get picts of anything fancisy.....

www.elfwood.com

and did some fishing on their search engine for some centuar stuff.

First I'd like to give this link which illustrates that centuars are a nature bound species and would probley be best to our race bound to nature. And I believe that it also suggests that not all centuars have to look exactly one way or another.

http://correl.wikispaces.com/space/showimage/Loshad.jpg

I plucked this one out because the Centuar has wings, and I thought it might be a neat conecpt to tack onto the centuarian race. Not nessisarly only wings, but horns, or thicker fur, mabye a different kind of tail, or horns. Something like that. Once again, bringing up the whole, not all centuarians have to look exactly the same, that's top AND bottem half. ^,^

http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/art/l/a/laco/centar.jpg.html

And, reitterating on the difference between centuars.
This one has a zebra body and, either tribal tattoes or birth markings, depending on how you look at it. ^,^

I believe that not all centuars should not all be beautiful, but at least plesant to the eye. Like the Elf Lord Elrond in Lords of the Ring, he wasnt as beautiful as Legolas, but he was pleasing to the eyes. ( Why do I have the feeling that's gonna come back onto me?..anyway)

So i think I've proven my pointx. Ifn ya needs more just ask. ^,^

--------------------
May you have the hindsight to see where you've been, the foresight to see where you're going, and the insight to know when you've gone to far.
+Quote Post
Jaramar
post Sep 23 2006, 02:56 PM
Post #4

PW Story Team

Member No.: 137

Well Gnomes of-

QUOTE(Pandra @ Sep 23 2006, 12:13 AM)
Example, Jaramar I'm sure will say Gnomes...

-damnit.

Also though Elementals (particularly Earth Elementals).

And Liches (all other undead SUCK compared to an arcane magic wielding corpse).

Yeah... that pretty much sums it up.

Edit: Oh, damn! And Dragons!

Edit Edit: Added a screenshot of the Wish Gnomes. I'm the one in the armor of course.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
-Jaramar Hillslayer
Insane Gnome

"'Live and let live' is my philosophy these days," I remarked.
Random chuckled.
"What a quaint notion. I'll bet it will last all of five minutes."

-Nine Princes in Amber
+Quote Post
Radiostorm
post Sep 23 2006, 10:23 PM
Post #5

Seasoned User

Member No.: 646

How about myconids? Mushroom people.

IPB Image

I've always been a big fan of the more surreal fantasy races. There's a lot of play in the design of a myconid. Being plant based, anatomy can be more abstract than your standard humanoid. The mushroom cap is an obvious feature, but extraneous limbs and rearranged facial features are other possible deviations. Here's a concept me and an artist friend of mine came up with a while back.

IPB Image

I don't imagine myconids to be a particularly statuesque race. A short, even hunched posture hardly reaching 3-4 feet seems most fitting. This would play into their role as underdogs of society, a title earned by their unerving physiology and foreign demeanor. Other races would probably fear or even loathe them, and likewise, they would cultivate a very isolationist culture. Xenophobic even.

Socially speaking, they would probably master sedentary agriculture but not develop a particularly advanced civilization. Simple buildings, small homesteads, root crops, possibly ruled over by a chief or elder. Very utilitarian. I doubt they would have as many physical, emotional, or psychological demands as the average human.

Oh, and I can't imagine them wearing excessive clothing. Being fungal, they wouldn't have a lot to hide.

--------------------
I filled a plastic bag
With everything I wrote
And threw it off a bridge
I thought that it would float
The water made it sink
The bag is bleeding ink
I wish that I could swim
I wish that I could drink
I wish that it was me
+Quote Post
joshpurple
post Sep 23 2006, 10:31 PM
Post #6

PW Artist

Excellent Radiostorm smile.gif ! Yup, I like the Myconids, cool pics too!

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Minthos
post Sep 25 2006, 08:16 PM
Post #7

PW Programmer

Member No.: 198

Minotaurs:
IPB ImageIPB Image
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image
IPB Image
+Quote Post
joshpurple
post Sep 25 2006, 08:21 PM
Post #8

PW Artist

Nice shots! smile.gif I really like this one:

IPB Image

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Honis
post Sep 28 2006, 01:39 AM
Post #9

Veteran

Member No.: 539

I like the Minotaurs idea and the Gnome idea (gnome ball will live!) Myconids would be a very unique playable race.

I ran across this pic of a Rentars on some human genome web page. Proportionally I would think the Rat body would be smaller and curve into the human back more "gracefully" if it where implemented.
IPB Image
Rentars, I made this up because its the first time I've seen it, name suggestions are apretiated.
So far I have: Rentars, Ratars (means something in Japanese translation to come when I figure it out), Ratturas, Onezumihito (Rat Person, Japanese), Shuren (Rat Person, Chinese)

I'll ask people who speak Japanese and Chinese how to really say it. I'm leaning towards Shuren or Ratturas myself.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
joshpurple
post Sep 28 2006, 02:34 PM
Post #10

PW Artist

Right On Honis! Ratturas sound good smile.gif . Great idea, how big do think a Ratturas would be?

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Hankellin
post Sep 28 2006, 08:12 PM
Post #11

Veteran

Member No.: 72

I posted a while back for a race of dragon-kin similar to those that were to be in WISH.

I had a thought for Dragon-Kin:

Premise: Dragons are VERY rare if not extinct;

Dragon-Kin are/were the results of an experiment to bring dragons back to the realm.  Perhaps as a slave race of an ancient empire.

Two distinct types emerged: Winged with limited flight and Wingless but with a limited breath weapon. (Both would be Skill based and can be raise as with any other skill.)

The two types can interbreed but offspring are always one or the other.

Their social structure is a nomadic existance and they either Idoize humans for bringing them into the world or Dispise them for "botching" the job.

In any case, they are driven to explore and try to find their Draconic roots. Investigating any rumor of dragons whereabouts.

Edit:

I just had a thought: the Wingless would also have a slightly faster movement.

I cannot see a horse allowing a Dragon-Kin to ride it. Aside from the fact a tail would be uncomfortable to sit on. tongue.gif

I was working a social history beyond this and will add more later if desired.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Pandra
post Sep 28 2006, 08:20 PM
Post #12

Wisdom

QUOTE(Hankellin @ Sep 28 2006, 09:12 PM)
I posted a while back for a race of dragon-kin similar to those that were to be in WISH.
I was working a social history beyond this and will add more later if desired.

That would be awesome Hankellin. I'd be very interested in more discriptions since one of the pixie/fye subtypes I wanted to do was a dragon mimic. I'm not sure I want to do a minature dragon with fairy wings or a dragonwinged pixie at this point though.

--------------------
IPB Image
~by Honis

+Quote Post
joshpurple
post Sep 28 2006, 08:57 PM
Post #13

PW Artist

Agreed, that would be cool smile.gif .

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Pandra
post Sep 29 2006, 11:40 PM
Post #14

Wisdom

I am working on fan art for the more serious propositions here. But Radiostorm brought up Viking Myconids in the IRC and I just couldn't resist.

IPB Image

--------------------
IPB Image
~by Honis

+Quote Post
Radiostorm
post Sep 29 2006, 11:46 PM
Post #15

Seasoned User

Member No.: 646

That picture brings a tear to my eye. The viking mushrooms shall inherit the earth.

--------------------
I filled a plastic bag
With everything I wrote
And threw it off a bridge
I thought that it would float
The water made it sink
The bag is bleeding ink
I wish that I could swim
I wish that I could drink
I wish that it was me
+Quote Post
joshpurple
post Sep 29 2006, 11:48 PM
Post #16

PW Artist

QUOTE(Pandra @ Sep 29 2006, 05:40 PM)
I am working on fan art for the more serious propositions here. But Radiostorm brought up Viking Myconids in the IRC and I just couldn't resist.

IPB Image

biggrin.gif Right On! Excellent! LUV it!

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Matlush
post Sep 30 2006, 04:05 AM
Post #17

Power User

Member No.: 637

Yuan-ti

Mix of humans and snakes. I'll go on the easy way and: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuan-ti

Pureblood (probably) and abomination:
IPB Image
Abomination:
IPB Image
Halfblood:
[img]http://www.legendgames.co.uk/acatalog/332%5B1%5D.jpg[/img]
Pureblood:
IPB Image

Yay for Forgotten Realms!

Oh, and they prefer swampy, warm climat.

--------------------
Wha-- ?...
+Quote Post
ghedipunk
post Sep 30 2006, 11:24 AM
Post #18

PW Programmer

Member No.: 596

Yeah, graceful, graceful, graceful... Everywhere I go, I see slender, elven featured creatures, or large, massively muscled, low-body fat freaks...

Why can't we have a creature that is fat? Not grotesque, or obviously obese, but by human standards, well, 'big boned.'

The race should be well muscled, but not ripped in any sense of the word. All of the muscles should be hidden in a liberal layer of fat. The skin, however, is smooth and soft to the touch. A person pressing against one of these creatures should feel large, rippling muscles close under the fat, but wouldn't be able to see the muscle definition at all.

Here's a sample descriptions of how a typical human adventurer would tell the tale over a few pints. "'E 'ad arms th' size o' a tree limb and legs that, I swear, would've been of better use as roots if I 'adn't seen 'em walk. The only neck 'e 'ad was a crease between the barrel o' 'is chest and 'is round chin. I'd swear I walk't inna emporer's kitchen full o' fat 'n lazy eunichs, 'cept they ran as fast as I could when I'm sober, and I saw one lift a barrel o' wine twice th' size o' th' innkeep's barrel over there as though 'twer empty. I 'ad to go look for meself, and it was filled to th' top, it was."

Despite their great weight, which they easilly manage, these creatures are not very physical, but preffer technical and spiritual endeavors. They very rarely develop weapons for themselves, so the vast majority of what they do make are clumsy imitations of weapons created by other races, and they do not spend their time practicing their skills in melee combat. An exception is their skill with spears, since it is almost impossible for them to sneak up on prey. They are very adept at creating very ballanced throwing spears (even though the spear is twice the size of a human's typical throwing spear), and are able to throw these spears with great accuracy twice the distance as humans.

Their climate of choice is frozen tundra (which explains the layer of fat). Because of this, they avoid metal armor, which could cause frost bite. They typically dress in well tailored hides. On the few occasions when they do wear armor, they preffer a very thick banded leather with softer hides on the inside and white fur on the outside (camoflage in the frozen tundra). The women do NOT run around in skimpy shirts showing their cleavage, and a loin cloth is entirely unheard of. Picture eskimos with twice to four times the girth and much larger limbs. wink.gif

Technologically, they are at the same level as other humans at the time, and their favorite building material is ice. Because their game tends to travel around a lot, there are very few permanent structures made by this race, the rest being ice carved from nearby rivers into one-story buildings. Large furs are draped along the walls and floors inside the buildings to provide privacy and added insulation against the cold. (This would be a good transparency effect to test in Ogre...) The few permanent buildings are the fire holding structures, such as a blacksmith and a central fire house that holds fire year-round with a slow-burning fuel, also the center of the clan's spiritual life.

A typical clan will have four settlements, populating each one for three months before following the game to their next settlement. When empty, the only sign of life is the heavilly warded fire house holding the fire for when the settlement is filled again, and an empty blacksmith's building, as well as large amounts of shattered ice where the temporary buildings stood. Only the clan knows how to disarm the wards around the fire house, which causes damage, as well as pushes intruders away (like swimming against the current of a river).

The flame inside the fire house is a sacred relic, technically the same flame that these creatures had at the dawn of their civilization. The source of the flame is unknown, but if all four of a clan's sacred fires were to go out, they would be unable to use their shamanistic powers until they were relit from a fire originating from another clan's sacred flame. When traveling, a clan will carry part of the sacred flame with them on a well protected torch in case the flame at their destination was extinguished, thus it is not possible to extinguish all flames by waiting until the clan is traveling... at least one has to be extinguished using brute force. (And I really don't want players to be able to extinguish the flames at all...)

The story team can take things up with the sacred flame's origins... Perhaps it is as old as the planet itself, and all flames originating from it have a measure of sentience?

Is that enough detail to work with? Ask any questions, and I can fill in details...

Oh, their usual decorations are simple patterns and totems... It's a *very* shamanistic society.

And I don't have a name for them... Anyone have ideas?

Oh yeah, some physical attributes: Height: 5'2". Weight: 320lbs (mostly muscle... looks like 250lbs fat humans, since muscle weighs more than fat.) No neck, round jaw, arms average 30 inches in diameter, waist = 50+ inches, generally a short ogre, except that they are fair skinned. Men are bearded, but they keep their beards no longer than two inches, so that ice doesn't get trapped in them. They are a very social, "neutral-good" society, where they don't care if you break the rules, so long as you're breaking them to help society out.
+Quote Post
joshpurple
post Sep 30 2006, 12:54 PM
Post #19

PW Artist

Cool description ghedipunk! smile.gif Very enjoyable read.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Dwilf
post Sep 30 2006, 01:18 PM
Post #20

PW Programmer

Member No.: 436

Posible name for Ghedi's new race. Adip'laci

Why are you never on IRC Josh? smile.gif

--------------------
Dwilf - Project Wish Tool Coder
"A Knife in the Dark is worth a thousand Swords at Dawn"
RP or die trying
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:54 AM
Original skin by: b6gm6n | Conversion by: Chris Y
hardwired
  hardwired
hardwired hardwired
hardwired hardwired