> Party quests
Phoenix
post Mar 16 2005, 02:14 PM
Post #1

Familiar Face

Group: Members
Member No.: 494

i was thinking of team based quests. something like you need a team of 5
to start and finish the quest, the quests probaly would have to be something like slaying a giant dragon thats attacking a city or defend a npc from being killed by wolfs or something.

what do you all think?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Blacksmile
post Mar 17 2005, 04:36 AM
Post #2

Power User

Member No.: 43

I think team quests are a good idea, but why especially mark them as team quests. The NPC giving out this quest could tell the one recieving it, that it might be extremely dangerous. So the player might figure, that he needed some support on this and find a team. If he does so, will he tell them that he gets a reward for this, will they want their share of it? If we are going for an experience based system (which i would dislike) a way had to be found to give everyone in the team the exp for the solved quest or divide it or whatever. This could be applied to each quest, so if you are in a group while solving a quest you would get the exp (if you were spatially near the group).

Ah and one more thing: i think slaying a giant dragon that attacks the city would rather be a town or guild size quest. I think dragons should be _really_ mighty and not just a standard mob.
+Quote Post
oom
post Mar 17 2005, 05:11 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 310

I think team quests are a must for this type of game. Some games tend to make it easy for teams to find quick group missions, etc and I think that is a good idea. The casual playerbase must be supported but there should also be support for the more difficult, time consuming quests that some people like to put their mind to.

Having an NPC give out missions based on several criteria might be a system worth considering. An example of a simple quest:

Case 1: (solo player)

"Yes I have a job for you, etc... find me some X!"

Case 2: (group of 2-4)

"Oh, you look like a particularly trustworthy bunch etc.... I need some Y "liberated" from group of people Z."

Case 3: (group of 4-TBD)

"Now here is a rough bunch of folks! etc... I need some W, but it can only be extracted by tracking creature Q, slaying its mate, and rendering it from its carcass."

Case 4: (solo player) & (night time)
Case 5: (group of 3) & (winter solstice)

Anyway... some thoughts to add to the mix.

Cheers,
OOM
+Quote Post
Bobstah
post Mar 19 2005, 06:16 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 272

Do not forget that we are making an EMMORPG, meaning it evolves over time, so there are no such things as `static quests`. I believe having guards give adventurers kill tasks or simple delivery quests is fine and can realistically be static and should be adjusted in difficulty for the group/solo player who is recieving the quest from the guard.

--------------------
Project Wish Story Writer
+Quote Post
Frith-Rae
post Mar 21 2005, 12:09 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 132

absolutely I think we should have "team" quests..

but I also would like to make sure the whole "optional" thing comes in. I wouldn't want this to turn into Everquest with a "well you pretty much have to group at blahblah point to get anywhere"

So I think its important to keep solo-ness totally viable throughout the life of your character, but also give things for groups to be important for - so that those who want to group have things to do together - whereas those that don't want to group aren't left behind in the "fun" factor for everything :).

--------------------
Frith-Rae BridgeSol
DragonLady Royale
Proud Officer of Keir Chet K'Eilerten - Horizons
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:42 AM
Original skin by: b6gm6n | Conversion by: Chris Y
hardwired
  hardwired
hardwired hardwired
hardwired hardwired