4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hi, I'm new and I got a question.
Alexander
post May 4 2007, 06:07 PM
Post #1

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,062

Good evening and hello for the first time.

I came here at the hint of a friend to check out this site and well, here I am. But even when first consulting with my friend about this site I still don't know what exactly is going one here. Ok so you people are developing a game, duh, even as blind to this site as I am I can still see that much but what I question is in its details of the game. To me it seems as just another medieval fantasy wannabee, but please do proof me wrong.

Plus there is a term thrown at me which has not jet fully settled in my understanding. This game is to be an EMMORPG? At least that is the word my friend used and I am to believe that this E = Enhanced. I am also to believe from my friend that this term or at least its meaning isn't even yet decided upon by this forum's community. So I ask you all now what this Enhanced means.

Thank you for your time and patience with this blind man for I have search thro many pages and have not found the answers.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
echorev
post May 4 2007, 06:36 PM
Post #2

PW Sound Team

Group: PW Developer
Member No.: 864

Hello and welcome to PW ! smile.gif

PW is definitely going to take place in a medieval type of fantasy world, but it will also be much different from nearly every other MMO out on the market. To my understanding, the E is interchangeable with U, as first termed by the original Wish team, which merely represents the type of MMO that it will be: one that can "support more than 10,000 simultaneous players in a single, seamless world, without any zones or "shards"."

As this project was incited by the cancellation of Wish, some of the features from Wish will also be in here. If you search google for mutable realms or wish, you can read about all of the features intended for that game, but to be brief, everything players do in this world will have an effect on the world itself. There won't be the same quests over and over again to reach that peak level and get that peak gear, but more or less the player will actually live in the world, explore, and be involved in a lot more ways rather than constantly grinding.

I'm sorry if my explanation didn't say anything new, but this is how I understand the project, and why I think it will be much different from MMOs like WoW and EQ.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Alexander
post May 4 2007, 06:42 PM
Post #3

I see... So this game is to be nothing special as I understand it from your description? I do not know Wish but I'll look into it.

For a game that dared to add a new genre on its own or upper the level of what is out there in the world of MMO's I would dare say to have expected far, far, FAR more then what you tell me. Still I'll have to look up more information on Wish if I want that to be my final conclusion.

I still wonder though what this E or U is to imply, just a few more players? How shameful.
+Quote Post
Alexander
post May 4 2007, 06:58 PM
Post #4

I've found the site of Wish and must persist in saying that I am not amused, its nothing new for me personally though it would be fun to see this concept be fulfilled one day although definably not by Wish nor this community for both parties still think to limited and are therefore not worthy of the new title of "Ultra" which still belongs to those games only present in the dreams of mind.

Still, far be it for me to wish you ash rains. I hope this community does what it knows best and keeps to their hopes and dreams that they may be fulfilled one day. I wish you all the best of luck and fortune.
+Quote Post
joshpurple
post May 4 2007, 07:21 PM
Post #5

PW Artist

Member No.: 613

Welcome Alexander! smile.gif

Good to see you here, -I'm the friend Alexander has been referring to. Alexander found me on the ToA forums.

And well said Echorev! smile.gif

I respect and appreciate your honest evaluation Alexander, I'll take it as motivation, and I hope you get a chance to download and check out DWARF, the World Editor that has been created for PW smile.gif .

Thanks for coming by!

*dances goblin jig*

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Pandra
post May 4 2007, 08:40 PM
Post #6

Wisdom

Group: Members
Member No.: 640

>.> Josh you better be glad I love you. Also, ToA's forums are still active? Buh?

--------------------
IPB Image
~by Honis

Kain:: I liberated myself a copy of MS Office 2007 today.
Pandra:: Liberated??
Kain:: With my charm.
Pandra:: Does that mean you slept with someone to obtain softwear?
Kain:: >.>;
Pandra:: You're officially a program geek.
+Quote Post
joshpurple
post May 4 2007, 08:48 PM
Post #7

PW Artist

Member No.: 613

QUOTE(Pandra @ May 4 2007, 02:40 PM) *

>.> Josh you better be glad I love you. Also, ToA's forums are still active? Buh?

biggrin.gif I'm SO GLAD! *more dancing* I think Alexander found the ToA forums... 2 weeks ago? Not sure smile.gif . He's a dragon, so be careful biggrin.gif .

But, yes, ToA -although still very frozen, the forums have remained alive, -mostly just the "TOA Cafe (OOC Forum)." And basically nothing relating to ToA smile.gif .

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Alexander
post May 5 2007, 02:17 AM
Post #8

I joined the ToA forum on Dec 30 2006 so its bin a few months.

Please Pandra do not think me unkind, my words are harsh I know, but as well meaning as they are so are the wishes I have for people that make their own way in this world.

I just have higher standards to what a MMORPG must live up to if is to be worthy enough to exist in my eyes. For this reason I cannot stand it how on the Wish website that frolic about how great it would be to have a seamless world unlike most RPG's today bla, bla, bla, they make it sound as if it where a blessing when they shut realise that it is not a gift to be treasured but a standard to live up to!

As I said it already, this game offers nothing I have not seen before and simply because of that it is not worthy of the extra letter. It’s too easy to invent titles for yourself, too easy for these are things the must be earned.

---

So this is the josh purple I've bin seeing banners for in the ToA forum. Ah-ha...
+Quote Post
MNZ
post May 5 2007, 03:05 AM
Post #9

Familiar Face

Member No.: 1,060

Alexander, did you read the ideas section of the forums?? You'll soon notice that it's not just being zone/shard-less that's PW's goal. There's a LOT more to it and it will be totally diffrent from any MMORPG, at least any that I have heard of. So unless you know of some Ultra cool top secret MMOGs that only a 'select' few get to play, I'd say you're putting PW down for some reason. But then again, you probably didn't notice the Ideas section in the forums smile.gif
+Quote Post
Alexander
post May 5 2007, 04:16 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(MNZ @ May 5 2007, 11:05 AM) *

Alexander, did you read the ideas section of the forums?? You'll soon notice that it's not just being zone/shard-less that's PW's goal. There's a LOT more to it and it will be totally diffrent from any MMORPG, at least any that I have heard of. So unless you know of some Ultra cool top secret MMOGs that only a 'select' few get to play, I'd say you're putting PW down for some reason. But then again, you probably didn't notice the Ideas section in the forums smile.gif

You are correct MNZ, I have not read the Idea Section. I'll do so today then. Immediately!
+Quote Post
Alexander
post May 5 2007, 04:42 AM
Post #11

After reading most of the first page in the Idea Section I must still say that I've seen nothing new, sorry but what I've posted earlier here still stands.
+Quote Post
Cobra
post May 5 2007, 04:48 AM
Post #12

PW Senior Artist

Member No.: 80

Live Content? Huge, Player driven Battles? Dynamic Questing? A world far more beutiful than ever seen? Innovative ideas on the common elements of how a MMORPG works? Single, Shardless MMO Server supporting tens of thousands of players?

If you never played WISH, then you shall never be qualified to speak of what defines a proper MMORPG. The other MMORPG games on the market today, in comparison, are extremely worthless piles of stinking crap it's not even funny.

I suggest you read up on WISH, and you'll know what PW is about.

--------------------
Project Wish Senior Artist

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Alexander
post May 5 2007, 04:54 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(Cobra @ May 5 2007, 12:48 PM) *

Live Content? Huge, Player driven Battles? Dynamic Questing? A world far more beutiful than ever seen? Innovative ideas on the common elements of how a MMORPG works? Single, Shardless MMO Server supporting tens of thousands of players?

If you never played WISH, then you shall never be qualified to speak of what defines a proper MMORPG. The other MMORPG games on the market today, in comparison, are extremely worthless piles of stinking crap it's not even funny.

I suggest you read up on WISH, and you'll know what PW is about.

I could simurlary suggest for you to read up on the game; Trials of Ascension.

For I see little differance in the two apart from the longer years of experiance in ToA.

Here I'll even provide you a link if you are interested.

ToA LINK

Tell me, if you will, what PW has what ToA doesn't?
+Quote Post
MNZ
post May 5 2007, 05:16 AM
Post #14

Familiar Face

Ok, I haven't heard about ToA before.

This post has been edited by MNZ: May 5 2007, 05:39 AM
+Quote Post
John
post May 5 2007, 05:25 AM
Post #15

PW Artist

Member No.: 593

Can I just make one interjection. There isn't some grand competition between all MMO developments. ToA and PW seem to have desire to step away from the over used and now over bearing similarities of the current MMORPG scene. I only see that as a positive thing for both, not a conflicting point of interest or something to take and make squabble over.

You obviously have insight Alexander, I'm left wondering whether thats insight you want to share or insight you're looking to use to impose what you see as your own superiority? I would be thankful if you could constructively list where you see ToA's direction being superior to the stated direction of PW so this topic can give serious consideration to your thoughts?
+Quote Post
Alexander
post May 5 2007, 05:25 AM
Post #16

QUOTE(MNZ @ May 5 2007, 01:16 PM) *

eh? Sorry, but will you please enlighten everyone and tell us how there's nothing new?? In which game exactly have you seen gameplay that is similar to what PW is aiming at? I'm curious really.... do tell us.

Check the link in my last post. Does ToA not promise the same if not more?
+Quote Post
MNZ
post May 5 2007, 05:46 AM
Post #17

Familiar Face

yes, I did check it. I posted too late and didn't see your post at that time (and later edited too late...). But I go with John and ask you to tell us how ToA is superior to PW so PW can improve (aka constructive criticism), besides more experience because that's not for you to judge as the PW devs may or may not be more experienced. And even then, I feel community projects usually have more chances. Look at linux (and I mean the kernel alone) and windoze, the linux kernel is unarguably by far much more superior to the windoze kernel.
+Quote Post
Alexander
post May 5 2007, 05:52 AM
Post #18

QUOTE(MNZ @ May 5 2007, 01:46 PM) *

yes, I did check it. I posted too late and didn't see your post at that time (and later edited too late...). But I go with John and ask you to tell us how ToA is superior to PW so PW can improve (aka constructive criticism), besides more experience because that's not for you to judge as the PW devs may or may not be more experienced. And even then, I feel community projects usually have more chances. Look at linux (and I mean the kernel alone) and windoze, the linux kernel is unarguably by far much more superior to the windoze kernel.

I know nothing of the workings of Linux and Windoze kernels so I'll not speak of them.

What I will do is sum up a good answer to your post, will take some time though so don't hang around.
+Quote Post
Cobra
post May 5 2007, 06:04 AM
Post #19

PW Senior Artist

Member No.: 80

ToA utilizes 4 realms, seperate from eachother. I doubt they're planning on having 10,000 players simultaneously on one, like we are. That is, what defined WISH into a UMMORPG. (EDIT: Shardless. I know EVE supports 30-100,000 players- but it's completely zoned.)

But as MNZ said, this is no competition. You won't completely understand us and what we do, because you've never played WISH-- or heard of it untill now.

--------------------
Project Wish Senior Artist

IPB Image
+Quote Post
John
post May 5 2007, 08:15 AM
Post #20

PW Artist

Member No.: 593

I think many of us are like Alexander, as in we have very strong opinions as to what a MMORPG should be, and we can all agree that MMORPGs of late have taken the direction of commercialization over playability and vision.

So to carry on with more concision than my last post, what are the preferential traits, features and concepts PW should try to embody, does ToA embody these traits, and if it does, how? If PW was to include these things how possibly could it improve on them? Are there possibly mistakes or successes ToA has had that we could avoid or learn from?
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:33 AM
Original skin by: b6gm6n | Conversion by: Chris Y
hardwired
  hardwired
hardwired hardwired
hardwired hardwired