emeraven
post Jun 21 2005, 07:43 PM
Post #1

Long Winded

Group: Members
Member No.: 8

ah Marr Vellis City of...

Well you'll find out I'm sure :)

I'm curious to peoples reactions to the update, with this in particular, and what you would like to know most about this city

Would you like to know

What its people are like
What its history is
Where is on the map
Anything else?

Tell us :)

--------------------
No longer on the project.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Matto
post Jun 22 2005, 04:55 PM
Post #2

Power User

Member No.: 96

hmm, as well as your sugestions I wonder where the name came from?

Is this in line with future naming conventions or language/s spoken within the city?, if of course there are multiple "native" languages or none even.

As well as:-

I am interested to know how detailed it is?, not that it is important now but are the buildings all squared or have you afforded some roundness to them( I know polygons count), are they buildings even or is it under ground. in the air or other?

can you give a description of the style/s used within the architecture of the City?

I have a lot of questions but feel this would be a good start.

Curiously, I believe you would have designed this with the programming limitations in mind, can I ask how close you were able to come to the realisation of what you would really like to see if no boundries where present in terms of graphical abilities of the engine/server//player machines.

Thank you.

*Edit* also I would like to ask when we might see the un wrapping of your creation?

--------------------
Matto
+Quote Post
emeraven
post Jun 22 2005, 09:22 PM
Post #3

Long Winded

Hmmm Ill answer what I can, the name speaks of its past and part of its nature. Not really a language so to speak, where it came from, er, my brain :lol: (not just mine ;) )

How it looks, will be up to the art people, and how well we can represent the concepts, we are hoping to have structures that are detailed with interesting textures. I know what you mean about blocky structures, but you can make a lot of interesting shapes out of square structures, something we are looking out at the moment. If the buildings have round shapes though, will depend if it fits with the people who would have built them.

I think I might be strung up if I give away too much of they style used at the moment.

hmm, I don't think of limitations, nor to the team as far as I know, we have an idea of what is possible out there, and we try not to make the lives of the art or programmers too difficult. We know what we would like to see, how we make that happen will be a collective effort by most of the project.

Not sure what you mean when you say unveiling, do you mean the concept or the 3d rendering, or concept art? Pretty much all that is all being worked on at the moment so I cant see that being released anytime soon.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Matto
post Jun 23 2005, 04:53 PM
Post #4

Power User

sorry for the barrage of questions.. By unveiling I meant seeing the whole thing together and complete. it's more out of curiosity as I am just interested to know how long it might take to create a City.

Will you use a template for all City/town areas and just change textures for another or would you create them all individually?

--------------------
Matto
+Quote Post
emeraven
post Jun 23 2005, 10:23 PM
Post #5

Long Winded

If we used the same template for every city, it would look like every city was built by the same people. Which shouldn't be the case. Marr Vellis has some features I cant see being duplicated, but related cities might share features.

This is in a lot of ways our test city, how we go about conceptualizing and building will be worked out this time, and help us with further concepts. As were still adding to this city its hard to give you an idea how log it takes.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Mole
post Jun 23 2005, 11:42 PM
Post #6

PW Consultant

Group: PW Developer
Member No.: 97

All of our cities are "hand made" and not based on any templates. each city is designed based on the people or culture who designed it, the geography of its location, and other factors that might influence it. This might take us a bit longer to produce each city, but each city will be quality and more unique. No more cookie-cutter looking cities.

--------------------
Co-Founder & Consultant
Project Wish
+Quote Post
Matto
post Jun 24 2005, 06:47 PM
Post #7

Power User

Thats good to hear!!

Obviously I am not expectijng this of PW, but it would be great to see Cities/towns in future games to develope depending on who's there, (Poor example follows..) ie:- blacksmith dies and no-one wants to take on his duties so it is changed into a shoe shop or the property is removed..

Maybe as the population grows /shrinks the boundries evolve to reflect this as do the quantity of buildings for various purposes. Posibley even linked to quality vs City wealth.

Ahh we can dream.. anyway so far so good, I am glad to hear of the extra effort in your current building details, I find it very anti-involving to stumble across yet another exact same or near as damnit city/town as a previous one I have been to, the same can be said of games where the same character is used countless times.. kinda takes the wind out of the gaming sails..

--------------------
Matto
+Quote Post
Hankellin
post Jun 24 2005, 07:55 PM
Post #8

Veteran

Member No.: 72

Thats good to hear!!

~ship~
I find it very anti-involving to stumble across yet another exact same or near as damnit city/town as a previous one I have been to, the same can be said of games where the same character is used countless times.. kinda takes the wind out of the gaming sails..

I noticed this Habit of Cookie-cutter cities in WISH. Seemed most of the Dwarf towns were almost identical on interior layout.

If PW can get away from this, ALL the BETTER!!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
emeraven
post Jul 25 2005, 10:34 PM
Post #9

Long Winded

There have been some efforts in games to make each town and city different from the other. Linage 2 (pause for people to groan), each city differs in style and layout, a lot based on different european styles, which also reflected the area's around them.

It is interesting though that some games are using a kit set approach (creating sections that fit together in different ways), to good effect.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 11:42 PM
Original skin by: b6gm6n | Conversion by: Chris Y
hardwired
  hardwired
hardwired hardwired
hardwired hardwired