Project Wish  
Project Wish
Project Wish
hardwired

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Leaving the world and scripts, Going offline and safety.
Brotoi
post Mar 9 2008, 06:04 PM
Post #41

PW Story Team

Group: PW Developer
Member No.: 1,123

I also think that houses/workshops outside guarded areas should be safe only if you remembered to lock the door!

There comes a point where having too much reality in a world destroys the fantasy, and for me, this is one of them. A player's personal assets must be completely protected while the player is offline. Granted, it's all virtual and it's just a game, there are still many people who have deep emotional investments in their character and whatever ingame wealth (large or small) they've managed to accumulate. Statistically, it is safe to assume that these players will make up the majority of whatever playerbase we manage to build, so if the game ever makes it possible in any way for an offline player to lose life or ingame assets, we'll accomplish nothing more than shooting ourselves in our collective feet.

The illusion of personal safety is one of the major draws fantasy has over real-life. Let's not destroy the fantasy by making it too realistic.

I am not sure I support offline resource gathering.

Other than mining, neither do I. And, let me also add, if we implement mining in a manner that requires a constant search for small pockets of minerals/metals, then not even mining needs to be available as an offline task.

Any task that requires decision-making, searching, exploring, experimenting, constant comparison and matching, or other conscious intervention definitely should not be available as an offline chore, and the game system itself should require enough player awareness and diverse inputs that such tasks are nearly impossible to script anyway.

Buying/selling from a personal store such as in Lineage II or Ragnarok Online = boring
Mining in a fixed location with an ingame macro such as in RF Online = boring
Crafting small items in large quanities in almost every game = boring

If there is any task/activity ingame where a player might as well be watching televsion with the game running in the background, then that task needs to be either removed, redesigned, or enabled as an offline activity.

I would rather every bow came complete with unlimited arrows then have some poor crafter spend six hours repeating the same half-dozen keystrokes in order to meet the needs of the arrow-buying market. Of the two, unlimited arrows is far less damaging to the ingame experience of the majority of players.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Minthos
post Apr 24 2008, 08:46 PM
Post #42

PW Programmer

Member No.: 198

QUOTE(Brotoi @ Mar 10 2008, 02:04 AM) *

I would rather every bow came complete with unlimited arrows then have some poor crafter spend six hours repeating the same half-dozen keystrokes in order to meet the needs of the arrow-buying market. Of the two, unlimited arrows is far less damaging to the ingame experience of the majority of players.

I suggest hands-off batch production for this one. In Wish, when you crafted something, it would take a certain time to finish, meanwhile you could walk around in the current town and return to the crafting station when it was done. Allowing a player to log off while crafting sounds reasonable too, I think. Combined with telling the game how many copies you want made of said item, making a few thousand arrows shouldn't be a major chore.
+Quote Post
RicoSuave
post Apr 25 2008, 11:11 AM
Post #43

Master

Group: Members
Member No.: 585

I think Minthos is right in the fact that crafting should be one of those things best left to offline (ingame) macros. However, I disagree with the idea of being able to walk around town while your character is focusing his/her attention on a tradeskill that takes extreme attention.
In a separate thread Jerky mentioned ways of getting others to log off (to help reduce power gaming). Perhaps if crafting is a one-action-only action, it would make players want to spend that time offline (while still getting things done in game).
If we implement the character rest/sleep idea we spoke of LONG ago, the macro could state something along the lines of:
<macro>
Do: {50% of total time offline}
- Make: Craft basic arrows
- Make: Craft basic bows
Do: {48% of total time offline}
- Rest: Sleep
Do: {2% of total time offline}
- Spam: "Bows and Arrows available! Custom orders possible..."
- Spam: "Reduced prices for large-quantity orders..."
- Spam: "Will return soon."
</macro>
Big Brother will need to make sure no one can spam chat more than XX% of the time. Little bothers me more than spam. Perhaps we could add a tag for any spammed chat that could be filtered by the client or simply by human eyes... i.e.
[spam] <Rico> Shine your armor for a copper.
[spam] <Rico> Hey, give me back my dolly.
<Minthos> Does anyone know how to silence a spammer?
<NJPaul> Go to Communication Options, check on "silence spam," and enjoy.
<Jerky> Or, just wait until the guard's back is turned and plunge a dagger between the 5th and 6th rib.
<Minthos> haha
<Brotoi> lol

Or make all offline spam be a different hard to read color...
[spam] <Rico> Shine your armor for a copper.
[spam] <Rico> Hey, give me back my dolly.

But to restate my original reply, I think Minthos is right about having crafting take a while and be available offline.
+Quote Post
ghedipunk
post Apr 25 2008, 02:47 PM
Post #44

PW Programmer

Member No.: 596

How about a script like this:

CODE

%scriptName = [Guard Home]

if %home.status == under_attack
    go %home // If the character is in range of his home while it is under attack, he would defend it by default...  Changing a script variable would be required to change default behavior.
endscript
endif

if %store.stock != low
    go %store
    me.mode = vendor
    endscript
endif

if %store.stock.[item name] == low
    while %store.stock.[item name] != full
        if %[item name].materialsAvailabe == true
            craft %[item name]
        else
            foreach %mat in %[item name].materials
                while %mat.onHand < %[item name].ingredient"%mat".quantity
                    gather %mat
            endforeach
        endif
    endwhile
    endscript
endif

if &store.stock.[another item name] == low
...  same as above.  Can be repeated for each item a person wishes to sell in their store.

A home object would have to be set before executing scripts... Scripts only run while a player is near their home object, and scripts can not change the home... Home objects can be a building, a caravan, or optionally a person.

This script would defend the player's home, and if the home is not threatened, he will run a storefront. Once an item runs low on stock, he'll close up shop, gather materials, and make replacement items.

Gathering could be set to scavenging for items, or buy them from other players and/or NPCs... Obvioiusly scavenging would be more cost effective, but if an item isn't just laying around, such as wood from a tree, then it will have to be purchased.

There are some minor problems with a script like this... such as, what happens if it is impossible to scavenge an item without leaving the home area, but it gets the basic point across, no?
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:01 PM
Original skin by: b6gm6n | Conversion by: Chris Y
hardwired
  hardwired
hardwired hardwired
hardwired hardwired