Full Version: The public and messy divorce of MMO and RPG
Project Wish > General Category > Project Wish General
emeraven
Though this is a slightly comical subject as depicted here:

http://www.gucomics.com/archives/view.php?...?cdate=20050725

And as described in this article:

http://www.gamergod.com/article_display.cf...?article_id=233

It does raise some valid points.

As I have a foot in both camps, I tend to see both sides. Many RPG people play that way just for the experience, some even played pen and paper style games where how well they played their part, often related to how successful they were. Some MMO people have come from strategy games and first person shooters (I cam from both those and pen and paper), where it is often the equipment and firepower that wins.

I'm more interested in what others think, will MMO and RPG ever get along, should MMO grow up, get a life? Should RPG open up a little and learn to FFRP (thats Free Form Role Play) with those that don't follow strict rules. Should they go see a marriage councilor?

Your thoughts ;)
Fuinelen
well .. I think that the problems trying to unite MMO and RPG are mostly based on the fact that most people playing MMOs are not used to roleplaying.

RPGs are way more difficult to play successfully than your average game, due to the fact that you have to know not only how to use the game interface, but because you have to know how to immerse yourself in your character. Roleplaying is also a lot about freedom. You can choose how your character acts in and interacts with the world. The whole paradigm of roleplaying game is that the player can choose what he wants to be and what he wants to do. (The success of his action being of course decided upon a few virtual dice throws).

So, what happens when a new mmoRPG opens its server's door is that thousands of players log in, mostly attracted by the flashy grafics and intro movies. They are then presented with concepts like leveling (which they can grasp easily enough), and with virtual weapons and monsters. Based on their experience of other types of games, which most of the time emphasize conflict resolution through monster bashing (in a way or the other), they grab the next best weapon and go monster bashing.
Based again on pretty much every type of game, they expect that the game becomes more interesting at each new level. After all, even super mario brothers started off simply and became more fun in later levels.

What they fail to see is that leveling is not the point of a roleplaying game (no .. I'm serious ... leveling is NOT the point!) ... The point of roleplaying is to live your character's life, to go on adventures. Even Everquest had those (thus the Quest in the name). Leveling, in a roleplaying game, should be a result, not a goal.

So .. how are they reconciliable? well ... I don't know for sure, but I think the original Wish went in the right direction. Leveling wasn't THAT important. Low level players could fight along high level ones against the same mobs, and everybody got his exp points ... and had fun. Leveling in itself was nice of course, but as it wasn't necessary to enjoy every aspect of the game, it faded away behind following the live events and just ~doing things~. Whether it was crafting, exploring, trading or even hunting mobs ...

I got visitors .. I need to finish that ...
hope it did make some sense (at least at some point :P
Fuinelen
isupreme
My prediction follows my rules for this universe.

As without, so within.
Diversity rules the future

So, like the real world, the world of games:

Someday not to distant, children will ask what a MMorpg or a FPS is.
As games grow and individualize they will differentiate and new types will emerge.
Personally i think we will see attempts to merge the two main currents for a few years still. Then one success will part the waters and many new types will spawn.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.