Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another great game design article
Project Wish > General Category > Project Wish General
Jerky
http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20050617.../bates_01.shtml

Basically, this is the art of making the game into the prefect journey. Very well written and researched. Something that I will be doing more of myself, researching and writing papers about it.

Enjoy.
Jerky
Very true. I'm glad you liked it.

A premise is nothing if it is not believable. Tolkein was a genius because his fantasy world was believable. That is the first premise I think we should have as well. You are in a BELIEVABLE fantasy world, and the world itself makes you want to play the game.
Erin El
Outstanding message. It brought to mind a game that I hold above all others: Homeworld (Sierra)
Those of you who have played it will know of what I speak. The third level made me truly desire to destroy the enemy. I had never had a game draw any real emotion from me until I played that level. From that point on I played every level as if the enemy were my bitter enemy, not just some AI. The pride I felt at the moment I finished the final objective in the last mission was enormous. I felt as if I had done my duty to those I was fighting for and had avenged those who had been lost.
This premise gave me the desire to play and is what gives me a desire to continually return.

A premise is a difficult thing to apply to a MMORPG without a purpose. Wish had a purpose: Defend Ganedan from the invading Nadirak hordes. It was a purpose behind which all could unite, be they crafters, adventurers, or traders. I feel a universal purpose may have been what set apart Wish for most of us.

What we need is a purpose. What is it about our world that deserves to exist? What is it that threatens the world? What must we do to protect the world?

Just a few thoughts from someone who had fun bein kicked around like a soccerball by a herd of ice dragons....:P
emeraven
I loved looking through this one, another great find, as its something Ive studied for most of my life its nice to see this getting a little more main stream.

Go on read it, youll be interested :P
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.