Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hello and such
Project Wish > General Category > Greetings and Salutations
zicyo
Hi!

Stumbled across this project and got very interested.

I am one of those who loved WoW until I realized it was tailored towards power gamers and I adore Oblivion but miss the online experience with my friends. Im also into LARP and Pen and Paper RPGs and have been thinking about making my own MMORPG. I am most comfortable in a fantasy/medievelish setting but are definitly going to buy Mass effect to my Xbox so SF is also interesting.

So why the rambling? Im going to examine your community, and in the end perhaps I too can contribute to this awesome project. I am quite realistic and know that creating a successful MMORPG is not a one man show, so instead of not using any of my ideas and concepts, perhaps you can have use for them in your project?

This is not an application (Im still too new to the business) but more like a "Hello, I like your project, perhaps I can help in the future".

My background is in computer science, I have mostly done web application programming (prefer script-languages as Perl, but can tolerate Java and PHP). A LOT of system managing, and the last year I have mostly worked as a project manager for software projects including staff responsible.

When I leave my current career I going to work with Game Design and/or Project Management, not because I hate programming but because I am much better at being creative and caring than skillful in details smile.gif

Sincerely,
zicyo
echorev
hello and welcome zicyo smile.gif

join us on irc sometime.
zicyo
QUOTE(echorev @ Apr 8 2007, 06:57 PM) *

hello and welcome zicyo smile.gif

join us on irc sometime.

Thank you! I certainly will!
Maxwell
Welcome to Project Wish!! Hope to see throwing some more Ideas out into the forums!
Jerky
Yes, welcome. We are always glad to see those others out there who aren't just here to cherry pick. We love contributors, so we are looking forward to see more from you in the future.

Make yourself at home.
zicyo
QUOTE(Jerky @ Apr 9 2007, 07:01 AM) *

Yes, welcome. We are always glad to see those others out there who aren't just here to cherry pick. We love contributors, so we are looking forward to see more from you in the future.

Make yourself at home.

Thanks Jerky. I will do my best, I think that its better to talk about the ideas you have, then there is a slight chance it gets used instead of just being an idea.

I havent been able to really pinpoint the status of the project (please help me to find the relevant thread if there is one). I will continue roaming the forum threads, but it would be nice with some guidance, or perhaps there is a secret design document somewhere on the net :-)
Minthos
QUOTE(zicyo @ Apr 9 2007, 10:40 AM) *
I havent been able to really pinpoint the status of the project (please help me to find the relevant thread if there is one). I will continue roaming the forum threads, but it would be nice with some guidance, or perhaps there is a secret design document somewhere on the net :-)
Nope, there isn't. It's all scattered around the forum except for the internal stuff which honestly isn't a whole lot. We're working on a game engine and some other basics, it's slow going because we don't have as much time to dedicate as we would like. We have released a demo of, and screenshots from, Dwarf, our world editor. We still haven't gotten an alpha version of the actual game together.
RicoSuave
Welcome Zicyo. Like Minthos said, just search the forums topics you would like to contribute to. There will obviously be far more threads once we get an Alpha version out there to discuss past topics and potential changes.

But until then, the past threads are used as building blocks to create an initial framework of laws and coding. Have fun reading.
zicyo
QUOTE(RicoSuave @ Apr 16 2007, 05:34 PM) *

Welcome Zicyo. Like Minthos said, just search the forums topics you would like to contribute to. There will obviously be far more threads once we get an Alpha version out there to discuss past topics and potential changes.

But until then, the past threads are used as building blocks to create an initial framework of laws and coding. Have fun reading.

Thank you RicoSuave! Yeah I will continue reading and try to get a picture of your fantastic mission. Perhaps its Mole or Jerky who can answer me this: Which development methods do you or are you going to use? Perhaps I am damaged from work, but even the projects that are the most fun needs some kind of organization with goals and processes. And you seem to be at least 20-30 active people (maybe more?) and this is a HUGE project. Do you have some sort of documentation framework you are planning to use?

I am impressed of the vision you have, and I am very interested in how a game project of this size can be completed. I will stay tuned.
Pandra
Zicyo, I got you message, I just need to get some time to get a responce typed up

All this freaking overtime at work is killing me.
zicyo
QUOTE(Pandra @ Apr 16 2007, 09:24 PM) *

Zicyo, I got you message, I just need to get some time to get a responce typed up

All this freaking overtime at work is killing me.

Thanks Pandra, take your time, I am in no hurry. Take care of yourself!
effigydrums
"prefer script-languages as Perl, but can tolerate Java and PHP"

Ahhhhhh! Perl will be the death of me, PHP all the way. But you probably know better, as I'm just a lowly musician.
zicyo
QUOTE(effigydrums @ Apr 17 2007, 09:14 PM) *

"prefer script-languages as Perl, but can tolerate Java and PHP"

Ahhhhhh! Perl will be the death of me, PHP all the way. But you probably know better, as I'm just a lowly musician.

Just a work injury, after a couple of years building webservices with Perl I cannot see the light anymore. Just utter darkness and little @, $ and # everywhere...oh the pain...but still addictive :-)

So you got it quite right, Perl (and PHP) is unhealthy for your brain but at the same time so powerful you can't let go...
effigydrums
Perl was thrust upon me when I switched schools and started working web maintenance on a campus with sad, sad servers that didn't support PHP. Now the tech department is switching to a cold fusion server, double AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
zicyo
QUOTE(effigydrums @ Apr 18 2007, 07:57 AM) *

Perl was thrust upon me when I switched schools and started working web maintenance on a campus with sad, sad servers that didn't support PHP. Now the tech department is switching to a cold fusion server, double AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

The pain! The pain!
MNZ
Hey! perl absolutely rocks! Just try to guess what this perl script does:

{$/=q**}map{print+chr(y*(*(**$]*2+y*)*)*)}split/\./=><DATA>
__END__
J -*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*- P
u -*-*-*-*-*-*-*- (((((())))).(((( -*-*-*-*-*-*-*- e
s -*-*-*-*-*-*-*- ((((((()).(((((( -*-*-*-*-*-*-*- r
t -*-*-*-*-*-*-*- ((((()))).(((((( -*-*-*-*-*-*-*- l
a -*-*-*-*-*-*-*- (((())))).(((((( -*-*-*-*-*-*-*- h
n -*-*-*-*-*-*-*- (((()))))))).((( -*-*-*-*-*-*-*- a
o -*-*-*-*-*-*-*- )).(((((((.((((( -*-*-*-*-*-*-*- c
t -*-*-*-*-*-*-*- (((((().(((((((( -*-*-*-*-*-*-*- k
h -*-*-*-*-*-*-*- ((().(((((((((() -*-*-*-*-*-*-*- e
e -*-*-*-*-*-*-*- ))))))).((())).( -*-*-*-*-*-*-*- r
r -*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*- ,
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.