Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What did you like the most?
Matto
post Jan 11 2005, 06:32 PM
Post #1

Power User

Group: Members
Member No.: 96

Hi there everyone, I would like to know what you found important about WISH, which feature or Game play element made you just want to keep playing it.

For me it was a mixture, put in basic terms these were as follows:-

The Player vs. environment aspect
The seemless nature of the world
The skill System

--------------------
Matto
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Gil Gadal
post Jan 11 2005, 06:48 PM
Post #2

Familiar Face

Member No.: 41

Well I can't think of anythign I didn't dislike...All I knew is I couldn't wait for full game release where I could run the game on quality and not performance with out lagging up...but that didn't bother me.

I came to the game because of the open skills system and PnC as weird as that sounds...I just still stuck in old frame of mind and think RPG's should be played wth mouse and FPS with WASD

Everything else like the one sever the PvE (although I still wanted to go out on PvP trips) live content everything seemed to draw me into the game.

Then after the playing it became the other way around. Open skills and PnC were a bonus...the Live Content!! now that was briliant!! I loved it so much and it complete the game also making the community what it was...

So now for a game I am going to need everything that Wish was...although I will play WASD...I just oddly enough prefer PnC if the pathfinding is good.

What I didn't like...
the fact I only had like 5 days of game play...
that it was only beta and only 1/5 of Ganedan was there for us to see...
the game closed before I could rid the forrest of those elven bandits which I dedicated practiale all my time to doing once that unicorn visited us.

So as you can see I am one of the few that wouldn't chage anything about the game...not the PnC, not the fighting system, not amazing EQ2 standard graphics...nothing it was topnotch and gonna be tough to beat now becoming my top game ever...better then my previous diablo series which I never thought would ever find something better. Maybe I should play some of that...it might take my mind away from Wish

--------------------
Name: Gil Gadal
Guild: Leader of the Crimson Hell Knights
Site: www.chkforum.tk
Proud Ex-Wish beta 2.0 tester
Ganedan: WISH I was there...
Wish Project...Fight for the cause!
+Quote Post
Stoobiestu
post Jan 11 2005, 07:07 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 101

What I liked best.....

The ability to just BE....

My skills were a natrual extension of how I liked to play. That was the great. I wasn't a BORN warrior type... more like just a pesant scratching a living off of what I could forage and such. Eventually I took up lumberjacking.... and by natural extension carpentry. The chopping eventually wound me up in places I where dangerous creatures roamed. So swordsman was the NATURAL result.

I liked that about the game. I wasn't forced to choose warrior or crafter or mage or anything like that. I could just exist and become stronger at what I liked to do. The world was also truly BREATHTAKING at times. Now some might not like the character models and such but they were more than servicable for an early beta and I knew they would more than get better. (I actually got USED to them anyways. then I didn't even notice)

But My favorite part was the towns. Each town with its own inhabitants and having they're own town chat. I grew to really "know" a lot of characters from the Lokshire. And actually began to really feel AT HOME when there.

I could go on and on and on but I'll stop on this note. Once while harvesting I happend to notice a LARGE group of goblinish creatures storming acorss the field I was working in. I rushed to town screaming my head off. PC the Guards waged a HUGE battle right in front of town! There was chaos at first but eventually a battle line formed and as we fought, me a total noob realized that even tho there were dedicated fighters there with armor and weapons that put mine to shame, I COULD STILL HELP!! It was like wow... I can make a difference... however small.

Absolutely one of my best moments in gaming.

BTW we saved the town and everyone cheered... then we went back to life as usual in "the shire"

--------------------
Sometimes you're better off not learning how good something is.

Because when they take it from you NOTHING can fill the void it leaves behind.
+Quote Post
Sunjit
post Jan 11 2005, 07:29 PM
Post #4

PW Animator

Member No.: 70

Ever since I started my first MMORPG with Lineage 2, after a month, I kept thinking that just fighting monsters all the time, leveling up just to participate in a castle siege was just repetitive and boring. I have played some games like Runescape and Ultima Online, and those two weren't just about fighting monsters and getting stronger. Runescape and Ultima Online had so much for me to do. I could cook; chop down trees; make a camp fire; fight...there was just so much to do. This is what Lineage 2 was missing: freedom. Runescape and Ultima Online gave me freedom to do whatever I wanted to put my heart into and get stronger in that field. Not just learn how to fight, but cook, bake, craft, etc. Especially the quests; I could do whatever quest I wanted; they were all available to me. In Lineage 2, I could only do certain quests if I reach the minimum level; crafting is only available to dwarves. I felt pretty much restricted to do the things I wanted to do.

One thing that is important to me, when it comes to Medieval MMORPGs, is the freedom to do whatever I wanted to put my heart into. That is what Wish gave me: freedom. I could cook (Mord eyeball anyone?), bake, craft, do any quest I wanted to do, fight, do magic, chop trees, make camp fire -- there is so much to do in Wish. The most important thing to me in a Medieval MMORPG is freedom.
+Quote Post
Metro +
post Jan 11 2005, 07:37 PM
Post #5

Seasoned User

Member No.: 35

To keep it short and simple, I was about the Armor-crafting. I thought that aspect was excelled, the way you could desgin the armor...

--------------------
irc://irc.sorcery.net/projectwish -- Come Idle and show support.
+Quote Post
Frith-Rae
post Jan 11 2005, 07:41 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 132

*chuckles* Well for me and quite a number of others...

What BROUGHT us to seriously looking at WISH was the availablity of the dragonkin race...

Without the prescence of that race, I know myself and several others wouldn't have looked twice.

Now after saying that, I was most hyped about the live content possibitlies, and the lore backup and RP possiblities. It really seemed more like a world where each adn every player mattered - wether they did, or decided to NOT do something. Also it seemed to be more on the "RPG" side of the MMORPG and not just a levelgrind-clone.

But without dragonkin, we wouldn't be here :).

--------------------
Frith-Rae BridgeSol
DragonLady Royale
Proud Officer of Keir Chet K'Eilerten - Horizons
+Quote Post
ZoSo
post Jan 11 2005, 07:47 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 108

This is an easy question. Live Content won me over. As cheesy as it seems, I loved reading about myself in the Ganedan Chronicle. They tell the story as it happened with a little added touch of RP.
Also, the GM's were just great. They get involed, RP and try to motivate everyone to get involved. I could tell they were having fun just like the rest of us.

I miss Wish.
+Quote Post
emeraven
post Jan 11 2005, 07:56 PM
Post #8

Long Winded

Member No.: 8

Hey Frith-Rae great to see you here :)

I think this is the only game where I could explore, and explore.. I loved the fact that if felt like a journey, that there was a possiblity of forming a carrivan or defending one and making a journey across the mountains.

Lots in the world made it feel Dynamic :) that is what I missed.

--------------------
No longer on the project.
+Quote Post
Hankellin
post Jan 11 2005, 08:26 PM
Post #9

Veteran

Member No.: 72

What I liked about this game:

I was able to make a plan and carry it out.

1. Be able to make my own weapons(Bow and Arrows)
2. Able to start adventuring when I wanted to start.
3. The choice to play as either Single- or Multi-Player type Game.

I started in Kemlinar and as a lumberjack, I took up carpentry and bowyer. I carfted a Composite Longbow and realized I would need the help of a blacksmith to realize my fuul dream. I traveled to Stonewatch and completed my quest to be able to make Arrows.

I returned to Kemlinar and turned to support the fight against the Elvish Bandits.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kye
post Jan 12 2005, 08:06 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 195

For the most part, the game was very well done. I had to wait until Friday before my account was activated, so I didn't get much time to play before it closed. But what I found, I liked. The stories that where posted on the Wish site and on others such as Stratics, where very well written, and made me want to play the game that much more, while I waited for activation. I like to explorer and was able to for the most part. I just had to learn how to not run into the middle of high-level monsters, hehe. I seem to do that on most games though. J I believe I saw about half the world before the game ended on Sunday, and tried three different races during my short time in game. I didn?t get to try a lot of things I wanted too, because I thought I had time to, but I found the ones I did do fun. I like the fact that I could use my axe to cut wood and kill monsters with it. Made it easier to deal with monsters when they attack me, while I was gathering wood. The music, sound effects, and environment made the game feel as you where there.

I have played UO, Dark Age of Camelot, and Horizons, and found this the most enjoyable one so far. Now that I have been spoiled by Wish, it is hard for me to go back to any of the online games currently available. The freedom in Wish makes it hard to go back to games that don?t have that kind of freedom.

The only problems I had with Wish, and I know it was only beta, but I would have like the pricing to have been lower since the world just started and more recipes being available to the specialty Crafts, when the basic Crafter is not in the town.
+Quote Post
pearle
post Jan 12 2005, 08:43 PM
Post #11

Familiar Face

Member No.: 159

Not in any specific order..

1. World immersion (graphics, believable terrain, etc)
2. Pure skill system and open ended play
3. Game systems that promoted strong communities (town guilds)
4. Live Content
5. Dynamic economy
6. Auction system (didn't have to stay logged in the game all night. Yay.)
7. Harvesting/Crafting system.
+Quote Post
emeraven
post Jan 12 2005, 08:49 PM
Post #12

Long Winded

Member No.: 8

The large explorable world really got me, the inovative way the ui worked, how everything was a resorce. Lore and stories, the local community of the town guilds, and local markets.

--------------------
No longer on the project.
+Quote Post
ysu
post Jan 13 2005, 05:24 AM
Post #13

Familiar Face

Member No.: 11

http://www.projectwish.com/viewtopic.php?p=759#759
Pearle said it all.
But mostly the huge explorable, real-looking world with live content and friendly community, all within the well-thought skill and crafting system & economy.
And my horsey :-)
Widden Omnipur the gnome blacksmith, at your service :-)

--------------------
I wish....
+Quote Post
Apredox
post Jan 13 2005, 11:06 AM
Post #14

Familiar Face

Member No.: 12

I loved my sercret foraging/mining place south of eggress that no one ever went to. It was very small in a forest but it had all the herbs and plants, and rocks you needed.

--------------------
A signature.. what a great idea.. guess ill work on it!
+Quote Post
iheartBEA
post Jan 13 2005, 02:55 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 256

Since i quit uo i was looking for a more graphically updated game like it used to be back in the day. WISH was like UO re-made. I could have played UO forever if they didn't add crappy new content and ruin it. That is the part that I loved about WISH.
+Quote Post
ferox
post Jan 13 2005, 07:56 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 302

imo WISH didnt come close to old UO, although I did enjoy the little time in beta I did have.

If wish had these things, Then I would of bought the release

1 Free pvp UO style, no switchs, no "pvp zones"

2. faster skill gain, no I didnt want to 7x gm overnight, but the skill gain was almost eq level based paced when I played.

3. housing and the ability to make player cities that can be sieged and destroyed.

4. wsad movement

if wish had those four things, I would of loved it a lot more... it was too much of a pve carebear game for me to actually buy it, but like I said it was a neat beta.

For old Uo players who wanted to play another uncarebearized UO, WISH was not the answer... our best bet is Darkfall, it has everything UO did plus 1000x more. But like 6 or 7 others in the last year.. no mmo is safe from being cancelled.
+Quote Post
Troodon
post Jan 14 2005, 01:42 PM
Post #17

Familiar Face

Member No.: 235

Hello everyone,

In no particular order what I liked about Wish was:

A single server - thus ongoing development/story attention isnt focused on players from one geographic region, while players from other regions are relegated to third party party management.
A world in which players can make a difference. Though the story is driven by the developers, the in/actions and choices of the players shape how things turn out and has real consequences i.e. Live Content
A strong background, with enough information about the individual races to allow the players to base their roleplaying off, and offering a cue to encourage roleplaying.
A skill system where players are not limited by early choices/mistakes, and are free to continue to develop their characters later on. Yet (with the limited number of ability points a player could spend for feats) characters are still distinct and thus high level characters arent identical clones. A really good idea indeed!
The races - though many of them were based on fairly standard fantasy faire, they alll were well developed - distinct and not totally generic Tolkinesq copies. The potential presence of a draconic race were a draw for me and others too.
The economy - though we didnt see it working, the notion of a real economy, promoted by regions able to produce different goods/resources and thus offering trade between regions. This was promoted by the lack if Instantaneous travel.
Crafting - Though Wish hamstrung itself with too little information on how to get started, the complex interrelated web of crafters was a nice touch.

What I was less enthused about (in no particular order):

PnC. Now put down your pitchforks. Wish's PnC was a pretty good implementation, but it was a means to an ends and it was not without its problems e.g.

on a high latency connection it was quite easy to end up running back and forth due to how they implemented it.
Vertical movement was limited to where you could see to click. There were some really interesting looking builds that I decided I couldnt be bothered to explore because I couldnt angle the camera to a position to move somewhere and thus was faced with multiple clicks to move up spiral staircases/ramps.
Like PnC or not, its a /big/ turn off to many. A lot took a people (at least vocal ones) took one dismissed the game as soon as they saw PnC.

Recipes - a concept that just smacks of artificiality. Yes, you need some means to differentiate what crafters are able to produce, so high end ones cant churn out everything, cutting newbies out of the market. But the concept of the Recipe was just odd. That you could purchase knowledge. It had some unfortunate side effects, people being unable to learn how to produce the basics of their crafts, recipe speculators(/griefers) buying up recipes only to auction them off at an inflated price. The Recipe concept could easily be replaced by direct Training. Thus while still limiting the knowledge to produce some rare form of item to a particular master a crafter has to visit, it cuts out the selling/hording.
Combat in general was just a bit uninspired. I wasnt able to do enough/havent enough experience with other games to pin it down. It just lacked /something/.
Lack of Autoattack - I know people will point out that this is to try to prevent macro'ing, but Wish already had some of the other most useful Macro hooks (e.g. select nearest enemy). On a poor connection its just handy to be able to know that your character will fight back with basic attacks even if you're connection is proving a pain.
Long distance movement - the in game map was crying out to be integrated with the pathing system.
The interface - A UI is hard to do well, but its really worth taking the time to get it right. A player shouldnt learn how to learn how to play the game. The use of the interface should be transparent as possible.

--------------------
Feed me Seymour!
+Quote Post
jammac
post Jan 15 2005, 04:19 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 327

The one thing that no-one has said yet was the overriding "playability" of the game it was a paper RPG. This was one thing no-one the UO, EQ, Horizon, EVE ad nouseum have been able to create. For the what seems like minority of 30+ SOMETHING online gamers we wanted this and can afford to pay for it.

Yes as a beta something sucked and somethings kicked a**, if the game was released today in its current state I would pay $60 a month to play it, its only $2 a day.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2021 - 08:19 PM
Original skin by: b6gm6n | Conversion by: Chris Y
hardwired
  hardwired
hardwired hardwired
hardwired hardwired